British Army Field Telephone Pye TMC PTC 405 Type 1705/AS 2 Wire

4 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Not being an electrician will have a word with CES to see what they have

Thanks

Just ask on here to start with, it's quite common and many folk will have some lying around.

47 minutes ago, sirhc said:

That's the "Split Drum" that clips onto a vehicle and can be used for rewinding the cable into the more portable "Dispenser Pack" which are currently being listed as 'new', so it might be worth getting both items. There used to be mountains of D10 available, but it seems to have been collected up by now - I don't think the scrap value is very high because it's 4 tinned copper and 3 tinned hard steel cores, so difficult to recycle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276262038438 for dispenser packs.

Best regards,

Chris. (G8KGS)

37 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Many thanks, as its for part of the FFR Land Rover your suggestion makes sense.

It the usual, not looking for it loads of kit when you want it rare.

Just search E bay for D10 cable and you will find some bags at £10 from Anchor and loads more.

Edited by Mk3iain
  • Like 1

It's a bit odd looking around at Clansman equipment for sale. Some items still turn up from the likes of Withams years after the "last ever" sales. For D10 cable it used to be everywhere and if you bought a vehicle from Withams for example the loose kit would likely have some reels of it.  I have seen today an advert for radio remote kit including D10 wire at 50p per meter ! Nuts considering the reels are around 800m or more.  Where has it all gone...🥴

On 1/5/2024 at 8:44 PM, Chris Suslowicz said:

That's the "Split Drum" that clips onto a vehicle and can be used for rewinding the cable into the more portable "Dispenser Pack" which are currently being listed as 'new', so it might be worth getting both items. There used to be mountains of D10 available, but it seems to have been collected up by now - I don't think the scrap value is very high because it's 4 tinned copper and 3 tinned hard steel cores, so difficult to recycle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276262038438 for dispenser packs.

Best regards,

Chris. (G8KGS)

Any pictures of how this works please.

Much appreciated 

• 1 month later...

The jointing sleeves and a Hellerman tool are so much easier than doing bound-in or soldered joints - assuming you can get the crimp sleeves, of course. :-)>

Best regards,

Chris.

(Recently discovered the Belt, Linesman was discontinued around 2011. End of an era.)

:-(>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

I have a new old stock Crimper for joining D10 cable, never been used.  Any interest? Photos below;

Crimp 1.jpg

Crimp 2.jpg

Looks a bit used to this gnome. (Or badly stored.) 

I have a couple of them, the original red handled ones and the later "low observability" version like that one.

Did they ever issue the carrier in DPM, I wonder? (I have the dark green cotton webbing version, and a lightweight synthetic one with the same NSN, but nothing more recent than that.)

Chris.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

The jointing sleeves and a Hellerman tool are so much easier than doing bound-in or soldered joints - assuming you can get the crimp sleeves, of course. :-)>

Best regards,

Chris.

(Recently discovered the Belt, Linesman was discontinued around 2011. End of an era.)

:-(>

Many thanks, yes i suspect its getting the crimp sleeves, when I was changing one wire to the drum for the set up came across a pair, as both metal and side by side i did wonder about shorting

24 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Many thanks, yes i suspect its getting the crimp sleeves, when I was changing one wire to the drum for the set up came across a pair, as both metal and side by side i did wonder about shorting

Ah, they're a cunning "sandwich" construction and the outer layer is basically armouring of the joint. The actual joints are waterproof and very strong if properly made. (Far better than the old "Self-Soldering Sleeve type which were time consuming, messy, required manually insulating after the cleanup, and couldn't be posted because... firework composition. Bound-In joints were even less fun and very hard on the fingers as I discovered in the Cadet Force, decades ago.)

I've not seen the Hellerman jointing sleeves for sale anywhere, but then I haven't been looking - I think I have a couple of boxes of them tucked away somewhere, but no D10 to use them on!

Best regards,

Chris. 

49 minutes ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

Ah, they're a cunning "sandwich" construction and the outer layer is basically armouring of the joint. The actual joints are waterproof and very strong if properly made. (Far better than the old "Self-Soldering Sleeve type which were time consuming, messy, required manually insulating after the cleanup, and couldn't be posted because... firework composition. Bound-In joints were even less fun and very hard on the fingers as I discovered in the Cadet Force, decades ago.)

I've not seen the Hellerman jointing sleeves for sale anywhere, but then I haven't been looking - I think I have a couple of boxes of them tucked away somewhere, but no D10 to use them on!

Best regards,

Chris. 

Many thanks, i did wonder 

This is a few month project the drum I have wont rotate at the moment despite penetrating fluid

Think either heat or dismantle part is next

On 2/14/2024 at 11:12 AM, Surveyor said:

Many thanks, i did wonder 

This is a few month project the drum I have wont rotate at the moment despite penetrating fluid

Think either heat or dismantle part is next

I've got some drums (free-standing reels actually) of co-ax and Lightweight Quad that were backloaded into a skip from a great height, then left out in the rain for months. They're bent and rusted to the point I'm not sure where to begin - some of the folding handles are immovable. (I only bought them for the contents, though some might be repairable.) 

15 minutes ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

I've got some drums (free-standing reels actually) of co-ax and Lightweight Quad that were backloaded into a skip from a great height, then left out in the rain for months. They're bent and rusted to the point I'm not sure where to begin - some of the folding handles are immovable. (I only bought them for the contents, though some might be repairable.) 

If I can get this drum running will be happy lol, it's on a frame for what I understand is an AFV