Triumph 3SW ?

RussH

I guess marketing speak was just as valid in those days 😂

I understand that most of the SE's were destined for Australia, the target market was different, offering a basic, low cost, reliable transport for greater average distances to be travelled than in the UK.

I note in the parts lists that the SW was a low compression engine, does anyone know the difference in piston to achieve this - I'm guessing either shorter or dished. My piston is flat topped, just wondered if this is an indicator for a 3S or 3SW engine build.

Ron, you asked about the tank, there are no indications of fixation for badges, centre or side, but fortunately appears in good sound condition.

Biggest blow to a rebuild is to find a failed brazed repair in one of the fork arms, I think a complete rebuild would be needed - if feasible, or replacement. I've seen poor feedback on some of the guys advertising rebuild services so would be interested to have any recommendations based on personal experience. Searches for TL forks are not coming up with any genuine parts so far, I plan to take a look at some auto jumbles (UK)  - what's your opinion on fork availability, TL forks were used on a few models so they should come up for sale ?

IMG_3037.JPG

Not very clear iin this scan, but when I zoom in on your picture, I think I can see two filled in holes?? Might just be blemishes in the paint?

You will be very hard pressed to find Triumph forks. There are crap 3HW forks from India on the market. Maybe Jan can offer a suggestion. If it was mine I'd first take it to my local tube guys, who have helped me for years, to see what they say, otherwise I'd be googling up "Ray Daniels" (I'm not sure what is going on with Jake Robbins these days??)

Ron

Scan_20240108 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Spurred on by your eye for detail Ron, I've rubbed back a coat of paint or two.

No sign of filled holes, ref the photo, the Triumph logo on the tank looks to be a hand drawn late addition. The base coat is brown, difficult to define the shade - which is very subjective to ambient light and surroundings anyway. Brown layer has been followed (badly) by three layers of black . Could the brown be WD or a primer coating ? was any primer used at the time, I don't see any evidence of one.

I'll take a closer look at the paint layers on the frame and oil tank !

IMG_3045.JPG

The badge would be on top, below the filler cap on the sidevalves, but if they would be on the sides, they were much more to the front.

Brown was a colour used from 1942 onwards, and before that it was KG No. 3 this is a colour between green and brown.

Lex