Needle bearings

RayT

2 hours ago, RayT said:

My morris has some badly pitted loose needle roller bearings in the gearbox . None of the bearing suppliers can supply the size. Could dowel pins be used instead, would they be hard enough?

Bearing suppliers you have contated - I take-it they can't supply spare needle rollers ?    There must be needle bearings (complete) with correct dia. rollers , then you just scrap new bearings and reclaim the rollers - plenty of local toolrooms could the use a cutter-grinder to chop these rollers to the desired length.  Obtain a  INA Bearings technical catalogue to trawl through.  Incidently - many years ago I worked on Brewne & Sharpe single spindle autos, these had split needle bearings for headstock spindles , this allowed quite a rapid change over from conventional lathe spindle to eccentric turning (the lathe did a quick-reverse that threw the spindle into eccentric. The only case I have known of this precision type bearing being spit construction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RayT said:

Dowel pins are hardened, but how hard in comparison I don't know. 

Sizes are 1/8 × 1 and 1/8 x 1 1/4 

Hi Ray,

Not sure what model Morris you have, but going through the C8 parts list I think I have identified your bearings and have manufacturers part numbers.

You say 1/8" x 1 1/4", that would be Morris part no. C868 and a quantity of 59 rollers for the 2nd speed constant mesh gear. Manufacturers part numbers:

Ransome & Marles part no. N.125 x 1 1/4" 

Hoffman part no. B.2785

Skefko part no. 125 x 1 1/4

The 1/8" x 1" rollers  are Morris part no. C.681 for the stem gear on gearbox mainshaft, a qty of 28:

(the diameter is actually 0.1248")

Ransome & Marles part no. N.1248 x 1

Hoffman part no. B.4767

hope this is is help to you.

regards, Richard

• Like 2

Hi Ray,

The parts list gave the Morris part numbers and an army stock number, I cross referenced the army number in the LV6MT7 Vocab - Bearings and the makers part numbers came up. I am sure if you look on a search engine you will find bearing stockists who can help. I have done this successfully in the past.

• 2 weeks later...