Racal MA 798/RA 477

ploughman

A friend of mine has just bought an ex Military antenna mast, it is a "Racal MA 798/RA 477". It is designed to be erected via hand or pneumatically.

His still has the pneumatic coupling so helping him to source the various fittings and safety valve to pump it up via a car compressor. It is the type of mast that can be tied to the ground or clamped on the back of a Land-Rover.

Just out of interest, I have tried to source documentation/parts lists but nothing coming up on google,  does anyone have any scanned documentation on this model please?

What vehicles would be fitted with it?

Only info I can find is the link below, which lists his 9m model but not much other info.

RACAL RA477 (radiohistory.uk)

Thanks.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:31 PM, ploughman said:

A friend of mine has just bought an ex Military antenna mast, it is a "Racal MA 798/RA 477". It is designed to be erected via hand or pneumatically.

His still has the pneumatic coupling so helping him to source the various fittings and safety valve to pump it up via a car compressor. It is the type of mast that can be tied to the ground or clamped on the back of a Land-Rover.

Just out of interest, I have tried to source documentation/parts lists but nothing coming up on google,  does anyone have any scanned documentation on this model please?

What vehicles would be fitted with it?

Only info I can find is the link below, which lists his 9m model but not much other info.

RACAL RA477 (radiohistory.uk)

Thanks.

I think I have the same mast (plus its rigging/ancillary kit and some documentation) it's part of the Racal "Lightweight Telescopic Mast family, which consists of 8m, 9m and 12m variants in the standard "Push-Up" and "Air Assisted" versions, and a lot of the components/ancillaries are common to the various masts. The 798 was intended for VHF use with vertical aerials (and SHF use with small diameter dishes), so the top section is made of GRP (transparent to radio waves) to avoid problems. The guys, halyard and radius line may be different from the 8 and 12 metre versions (it uses four guys instead of three for the erecting, middle and upper positions), but most of the other kit is the same.

I'll see if I can dig out the AESPs and scan those. I've got the common "Operating Instructions" one as a reduced size photocopy, but I don't think I've scanned the parts and maintenance sections of the document set. (I have a 12-metre mast that's bent and need to dismantle it at some point and get the tubes straightened if they're still usable/repairable.)

Do you have the ancillary kit (guys, stakes, hammer, baseplate, etc.) for your mast? The individual bits are not cheap on eBay, especially the guys.

Best regards,

Chris.

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
Typo.