Vehicle Heights - Thistlegorm Cargo

SimonBrown

I'm interested to know the overall height of some vehicles that were loaded as cargo on the SS Thistlegorm:

• Albion AM643
  • Albion BY3 (or 5) FBE
  • Crossley Type Q
  • Morris Commercial CS11/30
  • Fordson WOT3
  • Leyland Retriever 

In all cases the measurement I seek is from the floor to the top of the cab roof.

The 3D reconstruction is revealing a potential space under the lower cargo deck...the depth of silt is often above the wheels and is estimated to be at least 1m deep. These measurements will allow us to make a more accurate and refined estimate.

Any and all help much appreciated.

There have been some problems with dive boats off Egypt lately I wonder if any were near the SS Thistlegorm?  It may be easier to look for wheel and tyre measurements then you can estimate for deflated tyres, or chassis height as I would imagine cabs will be deteriorating.

16 minutes ago, john1950 said:

It may be easier to look for wheel and tyre measurements then you can estimate for deflated tyres, or chassis height as I would imagine cabs will be deteriorating.

The good news is we can see (and measure) the roofs of the vehicles. They are remarkably well preserved and any difference between built and as-is should be less than significant. We are measuring metres, not mm, so we can tolerate lesser accuracy I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john1950 said:

If you get a copy of Bart H Vanderveen's book Fighting vehicles directory it will give you all of the information you require. 

Sigh. Thanks John this is much appreciated. 

I am looking at a copy of Bart's book on my bookshelf...I forgot I had it, and how detailed it is.

It does indeed tell me everything I need to know.

• Like 1