240V Penthouse lamp connector/wiring query FV262064

I've about given up trying to find an original screw on electrical connector for the 240V penthouse lamp (it has the same 3 pin set up as the 24V penthouse, but with a wider diameter screw fitting. I'm looking at wiring the unit directly to a civvy plug cable , probably using heat shrink solder tubes direct to the pins.

Unless someone can point me to the correct lead (?), is anyone able to tell me which of the male pins are live, earth, and neutral?

Thanks!

Hi

I assume it is the grey box you need a connector for,

PenthouseLight.thumb.jpg.a7a84d684d93b77cc131f145df3690bb.jpg

if so, what you need is a Plessey Mk4 coarse thread 3 pin free socket like this

IMG20230227165134.thumb.jpg.7b68ea2811349e63223ba6309e502881.jpg

IMG20230227164402.thumb.jpg.3dc4233cafd9e9b0a9f2ceb396839558.jpg

Can't remember which pin is which, but this is easy to check.  The earth will go to the case, live and neutral will go to the input of the 240V to 24v transformer.

PM Me as I do have a spare one

Cheers

Richard

Technically those mains connectors are illegal. They are certainly unsafe. This is because the earth connection does not have a positve means (e.g. long pin) to ensure it makes first and breaks last. Ideally they should be replaced with a modern mains connector like an IEC 60320 C13/C14 type as used on computers etc.
If you must use them NEVER plug or unplug them with the supply on. Pull the 13A plug first.  Put a label next to it saying this and if possible wire lock then in the mated position.

The issue is if there is a fault as you can end up with a live box in one hand and a earthed metal plug (or vice versa) in the other as you mate or un-mate them.  This is likely to be fatal so while the chance of a fault is low, the consequence is exreme.

Robert.

Edited by G8RPI
typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, G8RPI said:

If you must use them NEVER plug or unplug them with the supply on. Pull the 13A plug first.  Put a label next to it saying this and if possible wire lock then in the mated position.

Totally  agree...

On the few bits of test kit that have these connectors (AVO CT160 and a Valve Voltmeter), they are permanently fitted. 

73 Richard M0YSR

2 hours ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

I assume it is the grey box you need a connector for,

PenthouseLight.thumb.jpg.a7a84d684d93b77cc131f145df3690bb.jpg

if so, what you need is a Plessey Mk4 coarse thread 3 pin free socket like this

IMG20230227165134.thumb.jpg.7b68ea2811349e63223ba6309e502881.jpg

IMG20230227164402.thumb.jpg.3dc4233cafd9e9b0a9f2ceb396839558.jpg

Can't remember which pin is which, but this is easy to check.  The earth will go to the case, live and neutral will go to the input of the 240V to 24v transformer.

PM Me as I do have a spare one

Cheers

Richard

Thanks- it’s the older style penthouse (the oblong green box), I’m aiming to connect direct to the lamp itself. Thanks though.

32 minutes ago, G8RPI said:

Technically those mains connectors are illegal. They are certainly unsafe. This is because the earth connection does not have a positve means (e.g. long pin) to ensure it makes first and breaks last. Ideally they should be replaced with a modern mains connector like an IEC 60320 C13/C14 type as used on computers etc.

The issue is if there is a fault as you can end up with a live box in one hand an a earthed metal plug (or vice versa) in the other as you mate or un-mate them.  This is likely to be fatal so while the chance of a fault is low, the consequence is exreme.

Robert.

A very sobering thought! I’m seeking to make a permanent connection direct to the lamp pins (older style- the oblong green penthouse). Same issue with equal length pins though. I’ll make sure it’s a permanent connection. That said, I’m very grateful you’ve pointed this out.

2 minutes ago, ScarboroughSeadog said:

Thanks- it’s the older style penthouse (the oblong green box), I’m aiming to connect direct to the lamp itself. Thanks though.

Don't think I have seen one of those, a photo would be good

Cheers

Richard

37 minutes ago, G8RPI said:

The issue is if there is a fault as you can end up with a live box in one hand an a earthed metal plug (or vice versa) in the other as you mate or un-mate them.  This is likely to be fatal so while the chance of a fault is low, the consequence is exreme.

Robert.

A very sobering thought! My proposed connection would be permanently made direct to the lamp (same issue with equal length pins though), but many thanks for pointing this out!

A46B77A4-CB72-4C15-9399-CB8009CEA66F.jpeg

4 hours ago, ScarboroughSeadog said:

I’ve dissembled the unit and C is clearly earth. A goes to the switch. B goes to the bulb. Any thoughts which is live? Consensus seems to be that B is usually the live pin, but there appear to be different protocols. Any thoughts? I’ll be wiring it permanently to a plug.

Commercially if the switch is single pole conventionally Live > fuse / circuit breaker > switch > bulb ( or whatever the load is ) > Neutral.

Generally I concur with the posts above for the Plessey or any other connector to as an absolute minimum label to disconnect the supply before separating the connector and better still lock in some way that requires tools to separate.

Additional safety would be an earth connection to the metal case independent of the mains input plug / socket.

Edited by david1212

Live to switch and fuse.

If you do it the other way one lamp terminal will be live (with respect to ground) even with the light off).
If you are hardwiring the lights make sure you use proper strainrelif for the cable. A compression gland like this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-glands/6694654

You need to check that the thread and cable size suit the parts you have. The glands are availble in a wide range of sizes.

Robert.