My 2022 Season In Pictures

2022 would be the first full season for the Dodge in its new scheme, but I was down to two vehicles for most of the year. "Hope", our '43 GPW, had been running rough towards the end of the 2021 show and with our house move and all the things needing to be done on the new property, I just hadn't got the time to start investigating.

Dodge Pre-Season Drive - March 27th

While not a harsh winter, the roads through the village had been frequently gritted, so I didn't take any vehicles out until the end of March, where "Faith" the Dodge was given a pre-season run around some of the local country lanes.

dodge_march15.jpg

Test Drive & School Run - April 6th

About a week later, I took "Jessie" the M201, on the school run. I'd recently done some maintenance and wanted a short run our to see that all was well.

school_m201b.jpg

Heugh Battery - April 16th

Our first event was at Heugh Coastal Gun Battery, near Hartlepool. This is Britain's only World War 1 battlefield, first opened in 1860. On 16 December 1914, a German Naval Fleet bombarded the coast. The leading German battle cruiser fired a shell which struck less than 100 metres from the battery. This marked the first death in action of a soldier on British soil in World War I.

heugh_01.jpg

Durham Marketplace Nostalgia Day - May 2nd

A little over two weeks later at the start of May, there was a gathering of vehicles in Durham City market place for their 1940s day. The thirteen vehicles were spread around the market place, so only a few show up in my pictures.

durham_28.jpg

Plantinum Jubilee Street Party - June 5th

The Queen's Plantinum Jubilee in early June, was to be celebrated by some friends with a street party. We weren't originally going to take the Jeep, but they were looking for things to make their house stand out. With the Red, white and blue RAF roundels added, "Jessie" seemed appropriately decorated for the occasion.

jubilee_02.jpg

Stannington Battle of Britain Day - June 18th

A couple of weeks after that, we took "Faith" the Dodge North into Northumberland for the Stannington village "80th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain". The sharped eyed will have realised that should have happened in 2020, but we all know what happened that year. Restrictions still hadn't eased enough in 2021, so the event was put back another year to 2022.

stannington_21.jpg

Bowes Railway - June 26th

In late June, it was the first opportunity to take two vehicles to an event. It was the Bowes Railway 1940's weekend. I missed Saturday due to being at a fly-in in Yorkshire, but "Jessie" and "Faith" were both out on parade for Sunday.

bowes_01.jpg

Chester-le-Street Steam Fair - July 9/10th

Two weeks later in early July, I had the Dodge at the Chester-le-Street Steam and Vintage Fair. On Saturday, the engine was trying to cut out during the parade lap. On Sunday, it wouldn't start at all. It turned out that the condenser had failed, which had only been fitted at the start of the season.

cls_42.jpg

Breighton Aerodrome "Lancaster G - George" Day - July 16th

Another two weeks went by , taking us to July 16th. It was time for the Breighton Aerodrome "Lancaster G-George Day", celebrating one of the Lancasters that was based at Brieghton during WW2.

breighton_42.jpg

We had a small display by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster, the crew of which had postponed a trip to the International Air Tattoo, so they could fly for us.

breighton_30.jpg

Saturday evening ended with the usual hangar party - and a Jeep drag race along the airfield, in the dark!! Not the fastest of races, but fun!!

Land Army Photoshoot and Drive - July 20th

July 20th was my daughter's last half day at school before the Summer holidays started. Since the weather was nice, we'd decided to go for a Jeep ride, screen down around the local lanes. Seeing that the crops were tall in the fields, we made it a Land Army photoshoot, stopping at a few places on route for pictures.

landarmy_07.jpg

Breighton Aerodrome - Vintage World Aerobatics Championship - August 19/20th

A month later, over the third weekend in August, Breighton Aerodrome hosted the World Vintage Aerobatics Championship. Entries came from all over Europe and once again, we had glorious weather.

breighton_aero_38.jpg

"Jessie" was back there again and this time, after the event, my daughter had her first proper drive of the Jeep, up and down the airfield.

breighton_aero_36.jpg

Ryhope Pumping Station NEMVC Rally - August 28th

Over the last weekend in August, the North East Military Vehicle Club hosted their annual show at Ryhope Pumping Station - a Victorian steam powered water pump originally used to supply water to the local town. It was another day out for the Jeep and Dodge. It is now a museum, but the beam engine is still operated on open days.

ryhope_01.jpg

Here's a video from our 2018 visit

Beamish "Dig for Victory" - August 30th~

Over the last couple of days in August, We got the Jeep and Dodge over to Beamish and our camp set up ready for the "Dig for Victory" show.

beamish_0102.jpg

Beamish "Dig for Victory" - August 30th ~ September 2nd

The Beamish event itself was from September 1st to the 4th. As usual, we had the freedom to drive around the 350 acre site, setting up displays at various locations for a while, before moving on to somewhere else.

beamish_0201.jpg

This gave the public a dynamic, constantly changing display and plenty of convoys to see on the road. There's lots of period buildings for backdrops to pictures, most being in the town and pit village.

beamish_0208.jpg

Fishburn Airfield "Wings & Wheels" - September 17th

Two weeks after Beamish, on September 17th, I took "Jessie" to the Fishburn airfield "Wings, Wheels & Living History" event. Bit of a breezy day, but plenty of displays to see, not just from World War 2.

fishburn_01.jpg

Tanfield Railway 1940s Weekend - September 24th & 25th

One more week later, "Jessie" and "Faith" were out together again for the Tanfield Railway 1940s weekend. The last time we were there was 2019, but it has taken the railway some time to recover from the covid shutdown.

tanfield_01.jpg

Tanfield is the world's oldest railway, beginning life as a wooden wagonway in 1725. They are planning some special events for their 300th anniversary. Once each day, we took a convoy of vehicles down the main road to visit the station at the far end of the line for a coffee and cake stop.

tanfield_12.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Ford GPW Test Drive - September 30th

Work on the house and garden has eased a little, finally giving me some time to look at "Hope" the GPW, which had been hibernating since September 2021 with a rough running engine. On September 30th, the Jeep was ready for a test drive, so I went for a short run around the local lanes. All went well.

gpw_test_05.jpg

Vehicle Wash and Photoshoot - October 1st

The day after, I gave all the vehicles a jetwash, to get the dust and dirt from 2022 washed off. I had some paint touch ups to do and wanted them clean before I start splashing paint around. It gave me the opportunity to get all three vehicles together for the first time outdoors, since the Dodge was repainted last year.

wash_04.jpg

Ford GPW Test Drive and Two Jeep Fuel Stop - October 16th

In the middle of October, we took both Jeeps for a local run and fuel top up before the winter set it. I prefer to keep the tanks nearer to full over the winter to minimise condensation in the tanks, 'though the vehicles aren't hibernated.

fuel_02.jpg

Colours of Autumn Jeep Drive - October 22nd

A week later on the 22nd, I was on my own for the weekend, so took "Jessie" out for a colours of Autumn drive. A week later would have probably seen better colours, but the weather forecast for the following week wasn't great.

autumn_07.jpg

Remembrance Day Tour - November 11th

November the 11th was Remembrance Day, with Remembrance Sunday two days later. I took "Jessie" out again on the 11th, visiting five local war memorials, stopping at one for the two minutes silence. The Jeep was out again on the Sunday for the Remembrance service at the local church, which has one of the memorials in the church yard.

remembrance_04.jpg

Dodge Winter Photoshoot - December 9th

As we moved into December and saw the temperatures dropping, I was hoping for snow. In its Flying Control scheme, the Dodge usually spent the winter in its shipping container storage, a few miles from home. The battery was normally removed for maintenance charging, and so the Dodge rarely ventured out in the winter months.

snow_dodge_24.jpg

Since moving to a house with a garage big enough for the Dodge, it was easily accessible and could be wintered in a roadworthy condition. It had never seen winter weather since its time in the Norwegian army, so I was really pleased to see snow start to fall on December 8th. It wasn't a heavy covering, but enough to be on the road by 09:20hrs on Friday 9th December. A local drive brought me my long awaited Dodge in the snow pictures.

snow_dodge_26.jpg

Jeep Winter Photoshoot - December 15th

A few days later on December the 15th, there'd been more snow, so I took "Jessie" the M201 out for a play in the snow. I waited until my daughter was home from school, as I knew I'd be in trouble if I went out in the snow without her! The late start meant we were out for sun set, catching a nice orange fireball sun contrasting with the white landsape.

snow_jeep_13.jpg

GPW Winter Photoshoot - December 24th

Nine days later on the 24th, we had one more run out, this time in "Hope". By now the snow had all melted, leaving lots of flooded fields. Heavy rain had washed away most of the road salt, so we had a good 18 mile run around the country lanes in the area to give the Ford a longer test following the fuel system flush.

gpw_winter_12.jpg

Despite many railways cancelling their 1940s weekends due to the war in Ukraine, we ended up with a healthy season of events and outings.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

Two weeks after Beamish, on September 17th, I took "Jessie" to the Fishburn airfield "Wings, Wheels & Living History" event. Bit of a breezy day, but plenty of displays to see, not just from World War 2.

fishburn_01.jpg

One more week later, "Jessie" and "Faith" were out together again for the Tanfield Railway 1940s weekend. The last time we were there was 2019, but it has taken the railway some time to recover from the covid shutdown.

tanfield_01.jpg

Tanfield is the world's oldest railway, beginning life as a wooden wagonway in 1925. They are planning some special events for their 300th anniversary. Once each day, we took a convoy of vehicles down the main road to visit the station at the far end of the line for a coffee and cake stop.

tanfield_12.jpg

Edited by Jayvee2003
Not sure what I've done here, maybe Admin can delete??

Hi Steve, I think the Tanfield Railway was built around 1725, not 1925 🙂

Love your updates on here, always interesting 👍

Jon

42 minutes ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

fishburn_01.jpg

tanfield_01.jpg

Tanfield is the world's oldest railway, beginning life as a wooden wagonway in 1925. They are planning some special events for their 300th anniversary. Once each day, we took a convoy of vehicles down the main road to visit the station at the far end of the line for a coffee and cake stop.

tanfield_12.jpg