Congratulations Dodge

Enigma

• 1 month later...

Regarding the dodge command Car. I have Always admired the shape of them.

They LOOK to be very comfortable? Can anyone  state what they are like to drive? I have fancied getting one for a  while now. Are there any drawback ( apart form fuel consumption ) to ownership?

I would really like to know!

Thanks in advance!

Mike.

A good one is great to drive, mine was. They are capable of good cross country performance, but the winch version is worth the extra weight. Reasonably nippy on road, relatively good handling, good brakes if well maintained. Reasonably weatherproof but really needs stored inside, will not fit average tiny garage though. Most mechanical spares readily available.  I never worried about the fuel cost but it was a lot cheaper back then. Should be fine on unleaded but current 10% ethanol fuel may eat pump and carb seals and melt original rubble fuel lines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferretfixer said:

Gordon. When you say 'A Good one'. What are the pitfalls of things to look out for. When potentially buying one of these?

Mike.

If I went to look at one tomorrow, I’d be looking for completeness and originality. Things like non-original tailgate, cobbled up running boards, missing hood frame, generally missing original Command Car specific parts. Radio Ariel brackets and the like can be made, but making a tailgate from stock wouldn’t be easy. Don’t ignore a WC53 Carryall either, but again completeness and originality. 

• Like 1

When you say 'Tailgate' on a Command car. Do you mean Boot ( Trunk ) Lid?

Hood frame? Would you NOT be able to have the Hood Deployed without one?

If the hood was up, would that not mean the Frame was there?

Or did you mean PART of the hood frame?

Sorry if the questions seem awkward? I'm just trying to clarify things! 👍

Command Car        Boot = Trunk lid

Carryall.                   Liftgate at the top and tailgate at the bottom

It is possible to make something to hold up a Command Car top, but the real frame weighs a hundred pounds ( or more ) and is a work of art in itself.  Either of those trucks with those components missing and the value is SEVERELY affected.

• Like 1

Compared to the WC 21 wit T214 engine I once had this is more like a tractor.

But a Command Car is good to drive and Gordon has made most points. It seats 3-4 passengers comfortably but you can cram 1 or 2 more in it. Lots of legroom in the back and also in the front. Some room in the trunk for a few bags.

I am 6 foot taal and in a Weapons carrier I need to angle my legs for braking/clutching to avoid the steering wheel. A CC front bench gives a bit more room to avoid the steering wheel.

I even sleep in the back on a angle with my legs over a 25 pounder box that sits between front and rear bench. They only stick out the body a bit when I stretch out. Not the most comfortable but it works. A friend has slept on the front seats but the steering wheel got in the way a bit and he stuck out a bit...see pic.

IIRC there are repro bodies or a original CC body could be put on the chassis of a WC 51/52.

So if you want a true/original CC the built card is essential.

But even if it is a Command carrier (Hybrid command car/weapons carrier)  its still a nice vehicle.

mini_20190921_074454 - kopie(1).jpg

• Like 1