Battery Charging

Celticbhoy

Question

Hi all,

Can someone tell me the best way to charge my Ferret batteries. As alot of military vehicles they are 2x 12v linked so do I charge them seperately using a 12 volt charger? Or do I leave them in situ and connected to each other and use a 24V charger.

regards Tel

10 answers to this question

I've always thought it best to charge together, several budget 24v chargers available. No two batteries will charge the same, but unless one is really bad you should have no probs if you decide to do them separately, you'd only need to take the joining lead off to do this rather than take them out. The worst will be a slight spark when reconnecting if they're not evenly charged.

If you can find a 24v "intelligent" charger (the ones you can leave connected all winter if you want) this would be good. I've only found switchable 6/12v so far.

If you charge together, keep an eye out for any signs of bad cells, it's a good time to check for gassing, since its easy to mess up the good battery when starting/running if one is bad (vehicle may start ok but puts a heck of a load on good one, and problems with overcharging might arise too).

And as a friend found out don't let your dog ( or anyone else) cock his leg on the batteries if on the ground, great way to b##ger them up. (the batteries, that is)

N.O.S. well mate it only needs a slight spark. Remember the Hindenburg? Batteries produce Hydrogen gas when charged. good practice always switch charger off before connecting or disconnecting. always leave a battery stand for 5 minutes after disconnecting charger to disperse gas, always have plenty of ventilation round batteries on charge.

Do you really mean best way or most practical way?

Given the pain in the B of accessing the 12v battery on a Ferret it is by far easier to charge them as 24v in situ

subject of course to what type of battery you use - sealed for life or standard you will want to make sure your charger rate is compatible with the type and if you really want to be careful you may want to blow some air around the boxes before starting up just to make sure any gases are dispersered.

I have been charging standard and latterly sealed batteries (bought from Halfords) on my Ferret in situ for over 10 years - no explosions or problems yet. Connect via the inter vehicle starting socket - I have a modified cable to do this

I can't answer for what is the best technical solution - I suspect however its to charge them seperately on a bench whilst mounted on vibrating plates to stir up the sludge in the bottom of the battery

N.O.S. well mate it only needs a slight spark. Remember the Hindenburg? Batteries produce Hydrogen gas when charged. good practice always switch charger off before connecting or disconnecting. always leave a battery stand for 5 minutes after disconnecting charger to disperse gas, always have plenty of ventilation round batteries on charge.

Well I guess that is a VERY IMPORTANT POINT - irresponsible of me perhaps to post advise to Terry without covering this aspect. I've seen a couple of batteries which "blew their top" - makes you a lot more cautious :shake: Just ignore how silly you look in safety glasses, what's more important? 8-)

Is one way to stay clear of batteries to charge at 24 through the external jump lead socket? Never tried it but should work :dunno:

You can help minimise problems by going over to Optima batteries (gel filled spiral cell type) you can carry two for a mile, hold their charge for ever, will crank an engine over a lot faster (the best point), minimal gassing through vent when charging but jeepers, the cost :whistle: