Alvis Stalwart Maintenance and Repair Files Website

Mark Ellis

During Lockdown 2020 I started researching the history of the Stolly, where it had served, etc. I was already a member of the HMLC group on Facebook, having been a RE Stolly Op in Germany in the 80s.

There are a small number of privately owned Stollies around the globe. I started gathering manuals and files, to create a resource for owners to access. The main idea to try and help people keep their Stolly away from the scrap yard.

All these files have been declassified for me by MOD, and are now free to access on this website. A big thanks to all who have contributed to this archive. If you have any Stalwart or FFR files related to Stalwart, and are happy to share them then please consider dropping me a line.

https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/

And if you have any photos of stollies in service, do please share them

• 1 month later...

Hello

do you know that the Austrian Army (Bundesheer) bought 3 Stalwarts in 1966 to test their usability. During testing a deadly accident happened and this was the end of the Stalwart in the Austrian Army.

There is still one Stalwart in the collection of the Traditionsverband Heereskraftfahrwesen ( Association of the tradition of the Army's motorized arm).

There is a link to a side but its only in German. 

https://www.hkfw.at/de/unsere-fahrzeuge/27-alvis-stalwart-fv622-mk-ii

Motorfahrer

Edited by motorfahrer

@motorfahrer
I've previously been in communication with Hermann at HKFW. The Stalwart that they have is ex British Forces, to record the vehicles that Austria trialled.
Hermann told me about the tragic death of a soldier that fell out of the rear louvers in full kit - into the river and drowned. Although, if the rear splashboard was fitted throughout the trial, then it's unclear of how that happened.

This resulting in Austria disposing of the three, but nobody at the Austrian Army or Government appears to know what happened to them. 

Austrian-trial-2-Mk2.jpg.d3ba8d23984c4312a0d9f7d79dd89b79.jpg

But I'm also aware that Austria also trailed them again, possibly in the 80s. This vehicle has the front splash board removed, which is something that we started doing in 83, and stopped due to the time involved to remove the swimming equipment. 

Is there any way in Austria to see the history of BH 82 136 ?

Divers-1a-Austria-Mk2.JPG.5a5a27ce832bb5d61ff89f20569ea798.JPG

Divers-2a-Austria-Mk2.JPG.23f2a74a053bd155724100ff18302eb8.JPG

No way to record the history as the plate goes back to the registration office when the vehicle is sold. But on the other hand the number is recorded in the papers of the vehicle. You need this papers to get a new plate at the registration office. Even when the vehicle is exported the papers go with the vehicle. BH is the code for the Army (Bundesheer). The registration is organized by districts so you can see where the vehicle is registered.

Nothing BH is a registration of the army BH (BundesHee). It may be possible to see to what unit the registration belongs to but this codes are militarysecrets.

The article states that the engineering troops education school (Pioniere Truppen Schule) had tested the Stalwarts. 

Edited by motorfahrer

@motorfahrer

This is the photo from the Pioniere Truppen Schule trial. Austria bought chassis number STAL 11 / 169 or 170 (depending on which book you read), 172 and 175 in 1967. Three in total.

Austrian-trial-2-Mk2.jpg.d3ba8d23984c4312a0d9f7d79dd89b79.jpg

But the other photos of BH 82.196 without the Splash board are much later. BAOR started removing the splash boards and swimming gear in 1982, but many units didn't remove the gear due to the time it takes to do the work. My research shows that only the RCT Stalwarts appear to have had the propulsion systems removed.

3 hours ago, motorfahrer said:

Could it be that Austria ordered the Stalwarts without costly extras due to the tight budget our army always had?

motorfahrer

No. The splashboard would be a part of the basic price. Removing the splashboard made little difference to the visibility, suggesting that it was an ex BAOR vehicle being trialled. 
Perhaps someone in Austria has better links to the military history, and can find some answers.

Sorry, I’m not paying enough attention and misread your post. The original post from Motorfarher states that the vehicles were bought in 1966 and, to me, the accompanying photos show a Mark 2. That made me doubt them being ex-BAOR, hence my unnecessary mention of Mk1.

Edited by Ex-boy

I should have mentioned this.
Merlin shows that all the chassis numbers around the Austrian three came into service on 1st July 1967. The previous batch were given on 1st January 1967. 103 Stalwarts were given to the British Army on 1st July 1967, from chassis STAL II/118 to STAL II/271.

The Austrian three are Stall II/169 or 170, 172 and 175, so would have been made perhaps in early March 1967.

The German pair of Mk 2 - STAL II/16 and 17 were made in amongst a chassis batch of 17 that were handed over to British Army on 1st July 1966.

The German pair had higher sides and tail, and if seen, stand out due to the extra hight 

image.thumb.png.4af7e4284b8b2dddccb1e5963cbff307.png