Abbot FV433 and Command Post FV432 Communications Set-Up

Just finished  my latest project - putting together a complete Abbot and command post comms system. 

Used the Larkspur B48 radio on the command post, and the ‘later’ fit on the Abbot - the Clansman 351 - interfacing into the existing Larkspur harness and control boxes via the Clansman IBRA box.

Fully working and operational, including via both radio and line comms, and also the induction receiver unit via a ‘turret’ loop.

The top section in the photos is the command post, the bottom section the Abbot, with the smaller section being the driver’s controls, fed via the ECC box, also showing the external speaker underneath.

Brian

(Radio call sign G3YVW)

88DB754B-CF74-445E-A585-D590FA465AC3.jpeg

BBED9667-5B03-4988-BF31-D6FB7AB66919.jpeg

FD9BCAEE-319F-436D-BB50-A084F80062F5.jpeg

BA5B2C8D-B851-4423-8E20-BE689030EB46.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

🤣 I think it would take longer to take off my garage wall than it would to actually fit into an Abbot! I will also send you a PM.
If anyone else is reading this and has an Abbot they are breaking or know of someone who has one, I’m trying to get hold of the Larkspur radio/line interconnecting box (which the commander’s headset plugs into) and also the master battery switch. Photos below. 

Brian

191EFC44-72AF-4A5F-A968-FCC6DE16C124.jpeg

43674EAB-9D92-4ED4-8A40-A2DCA17C81E0.jpeg

Many thanks Andy, appreciate that, just what I need.

Presumably you are replacing the Larkspur RLB box with the bigger Clansman Radio-Lines box.

You will see from my photos that I ‘appear’ to have an RLB box already, but as I couldn’t get one anywhere, I made up one myself using a ‘surplus’ Abbot 5W amplifier for the case, fitted extra connectors and switches and designed/built a board to fit inside to produce the correct functions, as per the circuit. So yes, it does actually work, and you wouldn’t know the difference from the outside, but I know it’s not the real thing!!

Regards

Brian

Brian - I checked yesterday and the RLB is still in position in the turret so would come out as part of the forthcoming turret restoration anyway.  And yes, I have an ANR Clansman RLB to replace it, along with the gun computer.

Stu - I'll have a look but it will take a while, I'm afraid.

Andy

Andy,

meant to say, interesting you have obtained the gun computer.

Reminds me of the FACE computer from the command post/FV432 - now I wouldn’t mind getting hold  of one of those (1960’s era!) to power up.

Last one I saw was around early 1970 in service but don’t know if any have survived to this day, even in a museum?

Brian

On 11/3/2022 at 6:56 PM, Larkspur-man said:

🤣 I think it would take longer to take off my garage wall than it would to actually fit into an Abbot! I will also send you a PM.
If anyone else is reading this and has an Abbot they are breaking or know of someone who has one, I’m trying to get hold of the Larkspur radio/line interconnecting box (which the commander’s headset plugs into) and also the master battery switch. Photos below. 

Brian

191EFC44-72AF-4A5F-A968-FCC6DE16C124.jpeg

43674EAB-9D92-4ED4-8A40-A2DCA17C81E0.jpeg

Brian

I have a CVRT Battery Master switch if that is any help to you.

Richard