Driving licence requirements (UK)

most early armoured cars were built on commercial truck chassis, the pre 1960 commercial vehicle exemption the type of body is not specified, it does not neccesarily need to be a load carrier, if it was a Post 1960 vehicle it maybe questionable

Edited by Nick Johns

Thanks Nick, reason for asking is that I’m close to reaching 70 when I believe DVLA are likely to issue me a new license and most probably likely to remove some of the categories no longer included on new licenses. I would really like to find a DVLA reference that definitely states that I can drive my Armoured vehicle (Saracen) and specifically what category on my license covers this. 
Surely a Saracen is not a commercial vehicle, I seem to remember yonks ago seeing a DVLA document that said ex mil armour was classed as a tractor or something. I’ve always believed a car licence was all I needed. 

T160 when I reached 70 I had to undergo a medical to retain my entitlement to drive my Pig. There are organisations that do such medicals in bulk which are mainly for HGV drivers. On certain days they hire a hall or meeting room in various areas then contract a doctor to carry out examinations throughout the day. Works out far easier & cheaper trying to book an examination with a doctor of your choice who may well not want to be bothered with such examinations. I think the examination has to be repeated every 3 years.

I think now since all the category changes, Anything pre 1960 over 3.5 ton is considered as an historic commercial vehicle, regardless of body type,  a Saracen is capable of carrying goods, an armoured van?  so qualifes as a goods vehicle and so only needs a car licence.

Edited by Nick Johns

I think you have to be a bit wary if your vehicle is registered as a Minibus. Some years ago after some argument (which they accepted) I got Minibus status removed. I feared that legislation at some stage may complicate the use of the Pig especially when I was over 70 that additional rules or restrictions might apply.

l am now 73 and have kept my C1 not because l needed to  but god forbid l have accident with a historic vehicle l have under gone a yearly medical and eye test and seen a consultant to keep it to show that l am still fit to drive a large vehicle on the road

52 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

l am now 73 and have kept my C1 not because l needed to  but god forbid l have accident with a historic vehicle l have under gone a yearly medical and eye test and seen a consultant to keep it to show that l am still fit to drive a large vehicle on the road

Good point