What is the name of the box that sits on the wing of my Lwt LR

On the front offside wing  of my 1980 Lwt' behind the Tuam box for the Clansman 351 aerial was a little box, which I guess was 4 inches approx square, that holds the aerial wires, when the Tuam aerial box is removed. Mine has rusted away at the hinge and I need to know the name of it, or the part number as I need to find one. It had 2 screw type clips at the front and was hinged at the rear, and far more '1980s' than later ones seen on an LR wolf. Any help gratefully received.

20220705_123245.jpg

Edited by LarryH57
Spelling

This was the antenna cable stowage box which was installed at military workshops when the Clansman system came in and most vehicles were still set up for the Larkspur equipment. There was an EMER for this, if I remember rightly, and again, I think that @fv1609 had it. 

Later vehicles had the box installed at the factory, with just the lid being on the top side of the wing. The box itself was under the wing.

https://www.lrseries.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=44968

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/Clansman/Wing Box/C.jpg

Edited by ltwtbarmy

The correct box for stowage of the antenna cables is  Container cable stowage FV 816660

It has no NSN but comprises part of Clansman aerial kit Mk 1 7RU/2590-99-828-8409

Described in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES Q 027 Mod Instr No.62

1777815005_FV816660box.jpg.555464eb7fb96530dc3344d5dcf6d910.jpg

Thanks all for the info. The one you describe Clive must be the later more sophisticated version. The one on my Lwt might therefore be a left over from the Larkspur kit, which my RE(V) unit only got rid off in 1980 so I guess there was old bits still good enough to use, especially as my Lwt was specially modified as a 12v GS to carry a dexion mouted manpack and wing mounted aerial.

@LarryH57 Clive is correct, however, I have encountered boxes like yours. I distinctly remember one vehicle (RAuxAF lhd, 109) that had one like yours on one side, and one as Clive stated on the other wing. I was too busy, grotty and tired to go find a camera. This was pre mobile phone days! 

Funny that @fv1609, LR series actually have an NSN for it apparently! https://www.lrseries.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=4520_4536_4726&product_id=42145

2590 99 829 5943 

as do PA blanchard https://pablanchard.co.uk/Box-Stowage-5x-5-x-2.12-234.344--FV816660

Edited by ltwtbarmy

Would a TUAAM on wing give real improvement   TX/RX   ?     A PRC 351  Man-Pack ,  secure t- he carry frame (there were 2 or 3+ options) in a vehicle , if you fit a 20W   VHF amplifier - that is what makes it a PRC 352 (vehicle mount)  with improved range  and I believe after that -there would be no more advantage possible over the standard whip-aerial.

A man-pack rig /Dexion tends to be a low £  FFR  (compared to a URS) as a excuse to mount TUAAM boxes , glassfibre rods & flags.   As demob - I have my doubts.

You may be right, as an amplifier making it a PRC 352 would have been an easy option. I know my Lwt was built as a 12 v GS but it has been special modified with support brackets on each side of the rear tub to hold the 'diagonal' support for the dexion. These are secured by four bolts each side. These brackets are quite rare but I have seen them drawn in an Army pamphlet. Also there are clips in and under the vehicle to hold the cable to the Tuam in place. There is no evidence of a radio table in the rear. 

The Lwt was used by the 7th (Para) Royal Horse Artillery from 1984 to 1990 which had 105mm guns towed by 1 ton FC Landrovers. From my own service I know that battery and troop commanders used to insist on a FFR and disliked the Lwt FFR as there was very little living space in the back.

I has been suggested that vehicles with a radio were reserved for important persons. If we discount Officers with an FFR and Reme LAD with a 109 inch LR , or cooks with another 109, that leaves a jerry rigged GS Lwt with 351 or 352 to the Padre and his driver?

Also a Lwt is rather small to carry a load of urgently needed 105 mm shells to a position unless an extra two would suffice for now!

Incidentally the aerial leads box I was trying to identify was still attached to the offside front wing when it was cast!

Edited by LarryH57

On 7/10/2022 at 12:15 PM, LarryH57 said:

The one you describe Clive must be the later more sophisticated version.

Yes I think that is probably the case. That EMER I mentioned was Issue 2 June 1978, it included a new modification kit and superseded Issue 1 October 1977.

So I suspect that box you have is from the Issue 1 mod kit. It was not very sensible to have to produce a screwdriver in the field to undo two screws to open the lid, the later single latch was much more sensible. With such a short period between the upgrades it would explain why your box is fairly uncommon.

Incidentally the stowage for the Larkspur leads with coax plugs (Type 4?) was a blank socket on a small aluminium sheet pedestal mounted on the inside of each wing within the engine compartment.

The box to me seems  - a universal adaptable box , the securing seem Oddie fastners ,   Oddie - I always think RAF first.  Even with a grommet  - it would hardly be watertight   I think you would have a job stuffing the proper Clansman co-axial inside  ?    Probably best to forget it for a proper box.

The late L'wt  FFR wings with inbuilt co-ax boxes , the spade shaped hinged lids are secured with  Dzus (made in USA)  1/4 turn fastners .  Oddie would have been better for reliability, perhaps the Dzus being plastic was specified because they can't create electrical noise ?  

And yes,  Dzus - you need the correct size plain blade screwdriver in your pocket  !    ill-fitting & coins just damage the plastic until they don't readily release. 

What you have is unorthodox kit.

If they are Oddie then the 1/4 turn would be scratching away at the wire retainer at every bump in the road.