M151a2

chevpol

Afternoon folks  finally got my Mutt thaf I been wanting for over 20 years now, ( had to look it up, via the M151 newsletter) bought it from Chris, member on here, Sirc, about 4 plus weeks ago, unfortunatly after driving home,  it wouldn't start!!! Been trying, through various forums to sort it, cleaned carb and new seals,  new batteries, new coil, new plugs,  sorted new earth strap from engine to body, no joy, even tried jump start from my police astra, engine turns over slow. Even tried easy start, no joy!!!. 

Love it !

I used to have an ex budge diesel MUTT that got rolled corner to corner, not by me.  It was a mess but later turned up for sale repaired with no mention of being written off.

Always wanted an original one, one day maybe...

Took starter motor off, covered in  oil (from a known source, side plate on the engine) placed it side by side with the spare that came with it. First thing I noticed was the cog moves further up the shift than the spare, and the recoil spring is open, the spare has a  collar?  on it ! 

Probably a silly question  but which is the correct 1?  Thee one st the rear i just took off in picture1, swapped positions on picture 2 ,take off at the rear 20220517_180141.thumb.jpg.65ea40fd177878398b2b20420c74799d.jpg20220517_180223.thumb.jpg.1750791c3937529f4a44b0f52cc28b04.jpg

Edited by chevpol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, yep, running fine, slight oil leak that needs chasing. Getting between 15 and 18mpg. Was a combination of starter motor and timing.  Followed the 2 finger rule between oil filter and the condenser housing in the distributor body.  Mine was 1 finger width!! Picture taken at Chester-le-Street steam rally 

20220709_155634.jpg

Another issue i have is that after a run, the dip stick has been pushed up out of the tube, there by loosing oil. Apart from checking crank case breather tube for possible blockage, causing pressure build up,  should the dip stick move freely out of the tube? 

The dip-stick should stay in place as long as it fits snug and the "lid" has been pushed into place when installed after checking oil level. 

If the engine has too much "blow.through" from the pistons, for the ventilator valve and tube to cope with, maybe the ventilator valve or tube is blocked. 
With engine running, remove the filler cap. If there is much excess pressure coming out in bursts, it could be one of the pistons has broken rings. If the air coming out also smells much like exhaust, that is also a bad sign. 

if so, check compression on all 4 cylinders.

Let us know what you find out of. 

Christian 

Edited by Christian F.

It does not seem too loose.  Is it bent so it can catch the crankshaft if installed "wrong"?   Test this by turning the dip-stick round when engine is running. If it catches the crankshaft and gets pushed out, then make a note of where the position is. 

Examine the dip-stick and see where the strike marks are. Re-shape  the dip-stick so it does not catch. The dip-stick should now stay in place. 

If the oil level is too high (above full mark) then you could theoreticly have the dip-stick move upwards when engine is running. But I would think that the level would then be much too high. 

Did you check for "blow through" ? It is normal to hear some noise, but loud puffing, and exhaust fumes should not be present.

I asked a friend to check his mutts dipstick. He said that it was not as loose as my mutts one, and he sent me a picture of the stick itself.  The end of the hard rubber bung, for want of a better word, is more or less parallel in its entire width, mine tapers off towards the end.  Mine is the top 1.  

Also, I can hold the rubber part, and easily spin the metal parts20220725_115423.thumb.jpg.5a79f9cfa72f539e9a3cb405fe09b932.jpg

Screenshot_20220725-181853_Messenger.jpg

Edited by chevpol
Additional info

Even if the rubber bit fits fairly loosly into the tube, it still should stay in place. It does not matter that the rubber bit can revolve on the dip-stick, just as long as it stays in the same position lengthwise. 

Have you tried to see what happens to the dip-stick when the engine is running?  Start engine, rev it up a bit and see how the dip-stick behaves. 
If it starts to climb out of the tubing, try to remove the oil filler cap, and push the dip-stick back into place, repeat the procedure and rev the engine again and see if it happens again. 

Have you checked the tube and valve from the valve cover to intake manifold for function? 

If the dip-stick starts to climb out of the tubing even with the oilcap removed, then it is not overpressure in the crankcase causing it. 

A quick fix is to slightly squeeze/pinch the tube close to the top. Just so much that the rubber bit on the dip-stick will stay in place when engine is running, but not so much that the rubber bit comes off the dip-stick when you pull it. 

Ran the engine at high revs for over 5 mins, stick didn't move at all. Checked all pipes etc, clear.  Valve rattles when shook, so working. Removed the oil filter cap, no noticeable exhaust smell etc. 

Looking for the ghost of the engineroom 😃 .... another ghost is the one that hides nuts and bolts when you have taken things apart ...

Everting always works when you look at it. 

At least you found out, that there was no serious problem.  

If it still happens now and again, you can solve it like I suggested earlier or use a spring between the fuel line and the dip-stick.

Just a thought, it may help. 

When you have driven a few miles and checked next time. If the stick has moved, try removing it completely with the engine still running and put your finger over the hole to check for excessive pressure.  It will be hot though and may spit at you...

Better still get a volunteer to do it for you.  🙄