M151a2

Afternoon folks  finally got my Mutt thaf I been wanting for over 20 years now, ( had to look it up, via the M151 newsletter) bought it from Chris, member on here, Sirc, about 4 plus weeks ago, unfortunatly after driving home,  it wouldn't start!!! Been trying, through various forums to sort it, cleaned carb and new seals,  new batteries, new coil, new plugs,  sorted new earth strap from engine to body, no joy, even tried jump start from my police astra, engine turns over slow. Even tried easy start, no joy!!!. 

Take the starter motor off for a clean out & brush/comm. check.  See how it motors off vehicle , something sounds strained ,  a 1960's Cortina sounds better cranking.

Tbh, I did think it wasn't right,  with the batteries fully charged, and with a jump vehicle, it still turns slowly, but not as slow as the video I posted. It tried to fire though!! 

Love it !

I used to have an ex budge diesel MUTT that got rolled corner to corner, not by me.  It was a mess but later turned up for sale repaired with no mention of being written off.

Always wanted an original one, one day maybe...

Posted (edited)

Took starter motor off, covered in  oil (from a known source, side plate on the engine) placed it side by side with the spare that came with it. First thing I noticed was the cog moves further up the shift than the spare, and the recoil spring is open, the spare has a  collar?  on it ! 

Probably a silly question  but which is the correct 1?  Thee one st the rear i just took off in picture1, swapped positions on picture 2 ,take off at the rear 20220517_180141.thumb.jpg.65ea40fd177878398b2b20420c74799d.jpg20220517_180223.thumb.jpg.1750791c3937529f4a44b0f52cc28b04.jpg

Edited by chevpol

• 1 month later...