Type 3/1 Villiers Carb

ramerry

Hi people, another bit of help if possible, started to strip down another 9D and on removing the Carby i found 3 sets of numbers on the stub end, 3.1 which i presume is the type, 3418 & V577C. I know that V577 is the part No.. but do not know what the C after the No. designates or what the 3418 No. is. Also had the Military type choke but the lever on the top has had the snapped of & wondering if any one has a spare around also had the large wire air Maze cleaner which is not in bad condition.  I would to know if this was of a James ML or just a plain 3/1 Carby if possible.

20220402_152919.jpg

20220402_152948.jpg

20220402_153012.jpg

20220402_153133.jpg

The bodies of the carbs are the same for Flea and ML, it's just the jet that is different, Ron will know what's what.

Very difficult to find the filters nowadays!

And probably cheaper to have a piece welded on the choke lever, than buying another one!

Cheers,

Lex

148762374_Schermafbeelding2020-10.png

284427584_Schermafbeelding2020-10-06o.png

Edited by welbike
Updated pictures

Thanks Lex, I have a Flea which has a 3/2 Carb. I was interested to see if this 3/1 was an ML carb or just a standard Villiers as it had rather a lot of numbers stamped on the stub end. The air maze filter also has a raised end on it unlike the flat end of the Flea.

The carb bodies are the same part number for Flea and ML V577C. The ML has a type 3/1 and the Flea has a type 3/2. This can only be the differences internally. The Flea has a 2 1/2 needle with a No1 jet and the ML has a 3 needle with a  No3 jet. The numbers on the needles are the taper %. The stranglers also have different part numbers, but I haven't noticed a difference so far. 

I've never understood why two 125cc engines have different carb spec, but I haven't looked closely into it. 

I've no idea what the other number is (3418) Possibly a casting number?

Ron

Thanks Ron, I was told that the Flea 3/2 Carby which was a modified 3/1 was because it was fitted to a R.E.engine due to the choke & the air filter being to long for the Amal Carb.causing it to stick out to far & i presume because of needle change for a different mixture for the R.E. Engine

Yes that must be the case for the WD Flea and why the  engine numbers are prefixed with a "V" to denote Villiers carb. 

One thing that occurred to me and I've just checked out, is the bore and stroke are totally different. The ML has a longer stoke by 7mm. (ML B. 50mm- S. 62mm.....Flea B. 54mm-  S. 55mm) So this must account for the different carb settings. Ron