Can anyone help me research the history of my Lightweight Land Rover Cash in transit van?

Cashvan

I bought this 1975 Lightweight (48RN89) back before Christmas and fully intend to restore it as is, I had assumed that the body and armour plating was a post military addition however it has now been suggested by a few people that it may have been used by the Navy pay office to collect local currency from banks for shore leave pay for Sailors and Marines whilst in foreign ports, I'm not military so I don't know if this is a thing that happens? Looking at photos I cant see many others with RN plates.

Can anyone help me with the history?

image5.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

lr1.jpg

You have your work cut out with history search for RN.

https://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6577&p=111279&hilit=sickpup#p111279

-----

Shoreside  £-s-d  truck - I doubt it ,  Aircraft Carriers & possibly other large RN vessels had them in blue livery , if one had such a pay truck then they all would & there would be traces of evidence.

What's the plan - restore the tub bulkhead + bodyside etc. etc. etc. ?   & return to FFR  ?  I suppose the bonus is you don't need to buy a pintle !

Has sea atmosphere got to the chassis  ?

My plan is to restore it to its second life condition as it would be a shame to loose its individuality,

It is extremely rotten everywhere and has been sat in a hedge since 1988, would I be right in thinking that an FFR would have been 24 volt electrics?

The armoured Lightweight was Not used by the Military/ Navy, it is a Civilian Conversion, ..in the 1980's a security company in the London area ran several  ex military Landrovers converted to armoured cash transit vehicles including this Lightweight, they were painted in gloss black paint

Edited by Nick Johns

8 hours ago, Cashvan said:

My plan is to restore it to its second life condition as it would be a shame to loose its individuality,

It is extremely rotten everywhere and has been sat in a hedge since 1988, would I be right in thinking that an FFR would have been 24 volt electrics?

Notice the large warning plate -  Rectified  AC  System , that would only be fitted to a FFR having 24 volt genny.  The only exception would be a few Non-FFR  24 volt used for helicopter start.   Just a few in 1974 , probably a few more on a loose Contract Item No.  finally the last S3 LWT manufactured  - these there  VRM (registration  --KD--

Also this plate refers to batteries , 24v had a pair of 12 volt starting batteries in series , located at centre seat position.  A FFR would as a radio shack have a URS  Kit  (a demountable radio station)  that could have batteries re-charged off LWT (later years by a Hopkins Genny, early years probably with a small Onan).

The Negative earth plate - is a standard civvy plate  No. 396116 ,  readily available but probably a vinyl printed repro.  I had difficulty obtaining a genuine anodized plate 2021,  I had stored a spare seatbase outside thinking all aluminium - can't harm, however it stayed a few years , the black stands up to sunlight , the red does not  !

The 396116 is a std. civvy plate for 12 volt , often on top of radiator panel,  LWT on seatbase.

The large black plate is normal position on a LWT.

There is quite a bit of variation on LWT plates over abt. 17 years of production (a good time-line dating feature).   The oblong nomenclature plate with the RN registration , if a bit of a special plate , generic with much info. stamped - was a standard plate on LWT from abt. 1980 to end of production , like the earlier 'main' plate on a RHD it would be on bulkhead to right of steering wheel.  I would not expect it Ex-Solihull on seatbase - however with RN LWT - normal 'rules'   don't apply , it does seem some were  'taken' from Army stock (may even have been a de-facto  CV).   Transit on aircraft carrier from such as Falklands - they could have been taken down on a lift to storage at back of a hangar (much was transshipped  at Ascension Island  and unfortunately lost on board the SS Atlantic Conveyor).  Who knows ?  they could have been official re-mustered from Army or RAF stock.  I don't think any blue livery  --RN-- were taken from Tri-service stock (from KA).   Most  RN blue livery  LWT  are strange with details and plating, the later RN plates are genuine - but were they affixed by Solihull SO Dept , they would not have gone down a line , possibly they were re-worked at such as Chatham Dockyards.   Some may have been brand new Ex-Works  ?   unfortunately the  RN  VRM numbers are re-cycled again and again &  RN have no records.   RM Museum have no records.   The  Royal Marine fleet on RN plates , a bit like  FAA helicopters in Green/Grey  DP livery - I understand £ financed by Army and aircrew can come from all three services.

1 hour ago, ruxy said:

unfortunately the  RN  VRM numbers are re-cycled again and again &  RN have no records. 

Hi

The National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) does have a few history cards for Royal Navy Vehicles (these were transfered to the the NMRN when the Army transport museum at Beverley closed).

As noted all post war RN registrations have been re-cycled, I think that yours is a 4th time that the registration has been been used.

I do have access to these history cards and when I am next in the library I will have a look for you

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1