Filling holes in Landy birmabright panels??

matchlesswdg3

Question

My Lightweight is plagued by (around 3-8mm) holes drilled in the alloy panels - mainly in the tub floor but it looks like a previous owner decided that he would make the Lightweight lightweight!  And/or he got a new Black & Decker for Xmas.  Question:  what is the best way to fill them before painting over?  My inclination would be to use a patch of glass fibre mat on the rear and fill from the seen side.  "Obvious" solution is to weld them - expensive!  Difficult?  The panels are otherwise straight so I don't want to replace them.

Edited by matchlesswdg3

10 answers to this question

Hmmm, Laurence.....I am not too fussy, but with all the patches it would need, it might look a bit like this!  Various Landy forums suggest TIG welding works and is the "non-bodge" option....but I do not have a TIG welder and that seems a lot of work (a lot of holes!).  I am going to give JB Weld Steelstik putty a try......it says this is the sort of job its good for and I have used JB Weld to repair all kinds of tricky stuff when stuck out on the road.  We shall see, but any more suggestions welcome.

20190216-125714_orig.jpg

Edited by matchlesswdg3

Tub floor -  just overlay with one of these :-

https://www.bits4landys.co.uk/lightweight/rear-floor.htm

If the X members under floor need changing then you would best change them using suitable fixings (without special equipment - you can't renew the original Avdel rivets , but you can replicate .  By time the URS anchor loops are bolted down - you would just need a single pop-rivet at each corner - nobody would ever know that you had a LWT +

Also the  U alloy longerons under floor corrode badly where the pressed & galv. floor cross members go - that is best repaired with new metal Tig welded in.

I don't think it a good idea to bust the spor-welds and remove original floor - too much strength lost.

How thick is the floor? I blocked some 24 holes in my Citroen 5hp dash. But that is about 4mm thick. I took aluminium rods in the size of the hole. I took it 1mm longer than the plate was thick. Than hammered it in on the anvil and it widens and sticks.

rep2210.jpg

rep310.jpg

I agree thanks for these suggestions. I have some minor holes in my Lwt tub, at the moment not big enough to lose anyone or anything. I like the idea of the replacement floor and just need to figure out how much else needs to be removed to fit it

As for the Citroen 5hp dash, I guess filling that hole was done on the bench?

Yes on the anvil.

After that cleaning the oxydation away and did a "bouchonnage". With a cork in the drillpress and some valve grinding compound. After that clean with a cloth with a lot of petrol to avoid scratches. It's a job that needs a lot of attention to avoid errors...

boucho11.jpg

Edited by Citroman

Must admit  the picture of the wings would NOT pass the test of a man on a galloping  horse passing  by it.

If its structural proper repairs  by welding   Thick plate is easier to weld but it must be very clean as alloy does not take prisoners ,Pay out the money and get a good welder