toddington 13th-14th oct

berni

This is the first event at Toddington for 5 years and even though it is late in the season is always well attended because it's normally the last time we see hobby friends till the following may.

This was also the first event i drove my GMC solo.

I am rather proud of myself as i drove up the M5 at 7pm on a friday evening in the dark, off at junction 9 ( tewkesbury) and drove down the lanes to toddington. I manouvered through a narrow gateway & had to shunt a couple of times blocking the road but i didn't panic & managed to reverse up the show field to a nice tidy spot overlooking the arena.

the show itself is rather much like most steam rallys but an added extra to this one is an exhibitors train at night ( which i missed coz of the rugby) which goes as far as cheltenham race course.

another first for me was steering a showmans engine round the arena which was quite fun once i'd got the hang of it, you have to pre empt the turn which was bizarre to start with. you have to turn the wheel just before you want to turn then as you start to turn you have to straighten up before the turn has finished. the steering was surprisingly light & i did 2 laps.

the drive home didn't worry me apart from the long queue to get off site so i waited & had a gossip while the main of the show emptied out. the journey back was as uneventful as the one there & after 8/9 shunts i also managed to park back in the barn, this took a bit of time as you have to reverse in & I kept having to stop & get out to have a look how far away i was from the other vehicles.

Now i am no longer a GMC virgin there will be no stopping me for next year, roll on the start of the season

from a rather smug berni :yay: :yay:

With practise comes experience , Glad your first time went well and that you are still sharing your Jimmie with the wide verity of people you encounter on the road and at the Events .

Each of us is a historian for our individual military vehicle and ambassador for our Hobby.

With practise comes experience , Glad your first time went well and that you are still sharing your Jimmie with the wide verity of people you encounter on the road and at the Events .

Each of us is a historian for our individual military vehicle and ambassador for our Hobby.

:-) Nicely Put, mate.