Ward La france and guns

Tony B

If any of the locals had got anywhere near it they would probably have been saying 'Please, don't shoot' . Several bunkers were built with chimneys etc, others had wooden false roofs fitted or were painted externally as houses.

Germans were good at 'disguising' bunkers, it seems;.................just had a brief look through a mates copy of atlantic wall fortifications, book, and there are some pics in there of same.

Germans were good at 'disguising' bunkers, it seems;.................just had a brief look through a mates copy of atlantic wall fortifications, book, and there are some pics in there of same.

We did the same sort of thing, one of the pumping stations for 'PLUTO' was disguised as an ice cream parlour.

True , there was a army section specially created to build and deploy dummy military hardware and bases through out the war . IE the Rubber tanks . jeeps, aircraft, fuel and ammo depots as well . In order to keep the Germans guessing what the Allies intentions really were during the entire war . I recently heard that these units were not official declassified until the 90's and included Sound units some mounted on halftracks , with huge speaker systems to broadcast a verity of noises at the German postions at night to give them the impression of armour movements or Bridge construction .

Best story I ever heard about this was the Allies got word that the Germans were building a decoy airfield with fake buildings and fake aircraft dotted about. The story goes, we waited until they'd completely finished it and then flew over and dropped a single wooden bomb on the runway. I don't know how true it is but it's inspired! :-)

A lot of such work in the western Desert was done by Jasper Masckyline the magician and his Magic gang. Including 'moving' Alexandria harbour and hiding the Suez canal.

If you get a chance to read the book about his schemes, do it, its a BRILLIANT read. Book comes up quite reguarly on e bay, and normally sells quite cheaply; (I lent my copy to a 'friend',..........who promptly 'lost it', >:()

Re PLUTO buildings, yes, some of them were built to look like bungalows,.........and some are today being lived in.

• 2 weeks later...

Best story I ever heard about this was the Allies got word that the Germans were building a decoy airfield with fake buildings and fake aircraft dotted about. The story goes, we waited until they'd completely finished it and then flew over and dropped a single wooden bomb on the runway. I don't know how true it is but it's inspired! :-)

Knew I had the details of this, :-D

Care of Wheels and tracks. no18.

'An interesting German application is said to have been at Soesterberg airfield in Holland. the Luftwaffe, or so the story goes, erected a number of wooden buildings and planes but were unaware that the allies knew all about it. On the moening after the project was completed, a lone aircraft appeared, circled round and dropped one bomb.

A wooden one.

Knew I had the details of this, :-D

Care of Wheels and tracks. no18.

'An interesting German application is said to have been at Soesterberg airfield in Holland. the Luftwaffe, or so the story goes, erected a number of wooden buildings and planes but were unaware that the allies knew all about it. On the moening after the project was completed, a lone aircraft appeared, circled round and dropped one bomb.

A wooden one.

Well found that man!

Back to the guns them selves I found an issue # 72 of " After the Battle"' on the cover is a photo of the guns at the cliff base and which has the start of an article on the guns we have been talking about on page 43 it mentions both the Royal navy, trying with a helicopter and the Territorial Army trying with winches failure to recover any barrels which weigh seven tons apiece. further information on Terry O'Brien's recovery efforts were to be in the next issue which I don't have .

Yes helicopters were tried. The AAS was the Jersey TA group and as exercises did use a Puma to fly some stuff in but the barrels are about 15 ton weight , and close into the cliff. the most useful tool for the last lot was a hydraulic ram and a lot of little moves. 2 years of them if I remember correctly.