Airfix 1/35th scale Cromwell

KevinT

This is the new Airfix 1/35th scale Cromwell Mk IV kit no. A1373. The road wheels were replaced with Sovereign 2000 Cromwell/Challenger ( damaged tyres ) kit no. S2KA013 as these have the correct number of wheel nuts 8 as opposed to 6 on the Airfix kit. I also replaced the majority of the turret and side plates from a Tamiya Cromwell, kit no. 35221, as these had the 4 bolts on the pistol port as oppose to none on the kit part. I also added a turret bin from the spares box.

The tracks are the rubber flexible tracks, the kit gives the option of a choice of link and length too. I am undecided as to which to use yet as I also have a couple of sets of Hobby Boss Cromwell tracks, kit no. 81004, individual links. HB suggests 123 links per side where as Airfix has 121 on the link and length set but this is where the track rests on the top of the middle 3 wheels.

All it needs now is some wiring to the spot light and side lights, the hawser adding ( no cord/twine provided in the kit ), aerials and possibly the cowling. Now to painting and marking.

Despite the issues with the road wheels and pistol port to name a few it was all in all nice build with no fit issues at all even with Tamiya and Sovereign replaced parts. Hopefully Airfix will release other Cromwell/Centaur versions such as AA, ARV and dozer WITH CORRECTED PARTS – Airfix if you are listening.

Cheers

Kevin

IMG_0555 (3).JPG

IMG_0556 (2).JPG

IMG_0557 (3).JPG

IMG_0558 (2).JPG

IMG_0559 (3).JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is T189511 ACHILLES A Sqn 5 Troop 1st Royal Tank Regiment, 22nd Armoured Brigade, 7th Armoured Division.

In the end I went with the Hobby Boss individual track links which although a pain to complete had little or no clean up required as the Airfix had sink marks on all of the individual links and regular sink marks on the length pieces.

None of the stowage has been secured down as I am not sure of the layout as yet.

Despite the issues with the wheels and the turret the rest of the kit was a nice build with little or no other issues.

Cheers

Kevin

IMG_0563 (6).JPG

IMG_0564 (4).JPG

IMG_0565 (2).JPG

IMG_0566 (4).JPG

IMG_0567 (6).JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin

This is brilliant, good job on it!

Is there any reason you put the markings on to make is T189511 ACHILLES?

The reason I ask is that I have been helping a friend research her family history and this specific tank is a part of that history.  I've not been able to locate any photos of it yet and this is the closest.

Cheers

Hi Unfortunately I don't have a photo either, at least I haven't come across one yet. If I come across one I will post a link to it.

The only other piece of info I can add is that one of the crew was a Sgt. W. Tibbles. 

Cheers

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Here is some further research about the tank you made the model of.

1 RTR landed in Normandy on Gold Beach on 07/06/1944 (D+1) as part of 22 Armoured Brigade.  By 10/06/1944 XXX Corps, of which 22 Brigade were part, had linked up with US Forces advancing from Omaha Beach. On 14/06/1944 1RTR were in a blocking position holding an area around the village of Briquessard (West of Caen) facing a Panzer counter attack from the south.  During the battle T189511 "Achilles" of A Sqn was knocked out by enemy action.

Three  of the five crew were killed in action. They were

Sgt Walter Charles Tibbles (7884989) of Daglingworth, Gloucestershire who was the commander.  He was known as Jack to his family and on the local war memorial.
He was newly married when he died aged 29.

Trooper Albert Foxcroft (3455962) of Everton, Liverpool was 24 years old and married.

Trooper Wilfred Edward Swift (4615818) aged 28 from Holmfirth, Yorkshire and married.

All three are buried in the Bayeux War Cemetery.

Hi,

Thanks for the additional crew names, I will add them to the crew name list against this tank.

I am still searching for where I got Sgt. Tibbles name. I thought I had found Achilles in a film on the IWM film collection but it was from 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry. I will check all the individual Cromwell photos but it think I have done that once already. I will try the British Pathe and Critical Past sites. If I find it I will let you know.

The reason I chose Achilles from 1st Royal Tank Regiment is that I like to use names from my database and fancied something different from the options provided for the Airfix kit. As I don't have a photo as yet I cannot confirm that the location of the name on the front and the census number on the turret side are correct.

Cheers

Kevin