US Tank Crew Clothing

Jessie The Jeep

In the film "Kelly's Heros", if my memory serves me correctly, Oddball is wearing a pilots A-2 Leather Summer flying jacket. Was this usual clothing for tank crews, or just because it suited the character in the film?

If they were issued to tank crews, did they have any particular insignia, like the Army Air Force patch on aircrew jackets? Did they have a similar leather name tag stitched to the left breast, and were there any other distinguishing markings and insignia??

Off you go guys, put my mind at rest!

Steve

An A-2 wasn't tanker issue but that's not to say they were not worn.Armored Divisions all used the same basic patch with the number of the division in it.the patch was somtimes worn on the left chest,somthing which Patten started.

Matt.

Righto guys here goes....typical tank crew clothing consisted of the

Tanker Jacket...actually Jacket Armored Forces Winter Combat

Bib and Brace Overalls....Winter combat trousers

Armored forces winter Cap.......

Tankers Helmet and wool shirts......

but it was also possible to wear HBT coveralls and wool shirts and trousers in warmer climates and weather

and with typical US ability all were supplied and ALL were eventually mix and matched

The tankers helmet were done away with by the very end of the war and the regular M1 steel helmet was being used.

If only i could host pictures ..HELP

PS dont forget G S Patton wore a B-3 in the Ardennes...:-)

regards

Lloyd

• 3 weeks later...
you will also note that later on in the film when we were talking with the tiger commander I was wearing a natty calf length leather trench coat 8)

This was a fact of necessity in 12 Hitler Jugend SS Panzer Division. Shipped to France upon mobilisation to defend against Overlord, there were problems getting sufficient tank crew uniforms and there was a surplus of U-Boot uniform in the Biscay ports, so it was normal for HJ crews to kit themselves out in U-Boot uniforms.

That said, long term I don't think leather is particularly suitable for either role.

Pickering22005036.jpg

In warmer weather its HBT coveralls and then tankers jackets or M41s as it gets cooler for us.The lipstick is optional :)

Needless to say this photo was in the warmer months.

I'm the short fat but excedingly good looking one on the top of the turret! :)

Hi Jack

Herring Bone Twill.

They were designed to be worn over the top of mustards as a way of layering for extra warmth,pictures taken during the landings on Utah show infantry wearing them in this way but I don't remember seeing any pics of troops at the Omaha landings wearing them.Of course I have no doubt that somebody will promptly come up with apic of exactly this.

Cheers

Degsy

PS Do we now have to address you as GOD, if so I resign with immediate

effect.

Nice one Degsy, been wanting to know that for ages 8)

PS Do we now have to address you as GOD, if so I resign with immediate

effect.

Well not really Degsy but my business partner has just bought me a 'Lairdship' so by rights and from now on you can address me with my full title - Laird Beckett.

** Please note I said Laird and not LARD :twisted:

Hi Jack

Tankers HBT's were usually coveralls where as the Infantry ones were a jacket and trousers both complete with anti-gas flaps, in warm weather

the HBT's could be worn without mustards, the jacket then becoming a sort of loose shirt.

• 1 month later...
Here's a cracking picture of Lloyd in his tankers uniform.

.........he was telling me that he was a male model and this one was from his portfolio, some how, I just don't believe him :wink:

Nice one, thanks Lloyd.

TankSlagatBeltring.jpg

Hmmm, Lloyd looks dangerous with that big piece of steel...