Water Cart ID and History

Hello, and welcome.

It's a British Military WW2 20CWT Water Trailer. You can learn a lot about it in general from this restoration by @Ian L

To find the maker, date and original service number, you would need to locate the data plate, which is often no longer there.

Best Regards,

Adrian

2 minutes ago, Le Prof said:

Hello, and welcome.

It's a British Military WW2 20CWT Water Trailer. You can learn a lot about it in general from this restoration by @Ian L

To find the maker, date and original service number, you would need to locate the data plate, which is often no longer there.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thank you for that.  We've searched google images a number of times and came to the conclusion it would be WW2 but that was all. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of similarities but a few differences as well.  The one we have has obviously been made into what it is now (to be towed behind a steam roller), but as they were made by a few different manufacturers I suppose there may have been slight changes in features as time went on.

1 minute ago, Le Prof said:

Hi

@1922aveling

You're welcome (-:

I guess these days it's on Traction Engine duty?

I started my MV collecting days surrounded by them at Hollowell steam fair in the 1970's. I'm pleased that people are still able to keep them going.

Best Regards,

Adrain

It was used for years behind my Dads roller, but he no longer needs it and I need one for my roller.  Should be out in a few weeks time - just hope the tyres are OK.

Yes, you'll see some variations between makers, and often simplifications as the war went on. The angular mudguards are probably not original, though, that said, there is something very similar on the Mortar trailers of the time. 

The most difficult part to find is the water filters, which were brass, so got weighed in when these were surplussed out. You'll see many requests from people searching for these.

Best Regards,

Adrian

• 2 months later...