NEW Track grip style tyres, MORE! 10.50-16 and Dingo

RMS

Ok, so now that we have made, sold and fitted the 900-16 track grip style tyres, we are now planning on 10.50-16 next!  and possible 700-18 for Daimler dingo (depending on interest)

so the first step is to gauge the interest in these tyre sizes, if people could reply with a comment on the size and number they would be interested in.  only the sizes mentioned above for mow. also spread the word on other groups you maybe members of. it will take a bit of time but hopefully not as long as the 900's took!

we have an original WD 10.50-16 to use as a pattern and will be looking for a dingo tyre if someone can lend us one for a month or two to use a pattern? it will be returned in good order.  

cheers 

Barry 

IMG_9149.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Barry,

I would purchase at least one set of 10.50x20's (five tyres) and one of 7.00x18's (five tyres).  For the former, I would much prefer 10.50x20 rather than 11.00x20, but would go with the elevens if that was what was available.

Thank you for investigating this as a possible production run.

Regards,

Norman

Edited by Brigand

Why would you want 10.50X20 size when they were replace by 11.00X20 which were in production before the end of the war.   Every British and Canadian WW2 3 tonner is currently fitted with 11.20X20  and there would be a big demand for these but I can't see many people wanting to scrap their existing tires.

27 minutes ago, Marc van Aalderen said:

Because the Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 came out with 10.50x20. Looks very nice compared to the bigger 11.00's. But whatever the demand may be 11.00 would be perfectly acceptable of course!

As did every war-time 3 tonner but as you say quite what the demand would be to reverse engineer every 3 tonner in country if Barry wants to sell lots of tires is questionable.    With Humber Mk IV you cannot even mount a 11.00X20 on the side if the vehicle as it is too big so I had to aquire a scrap 10.50X20.

7 hours ago, REME 245 said:

As did every war-time 3 tonner but as you say quite what the demand would be to reverse engineer every 3 tonner in country if Barry wants to sell lots of tires is questionable.    With Humber Mk IV you cannot even mount a 11.00X20 on the side if the vehicle as it is too big so I had to aquire a scrap 10.50X20.

But changing all your tyres in one go, as any sensible vehicle owner should do, it wouldn't matter if you go back to the original size of 10.50. I know a lot of vehicles had the 11.00 fitted later but as you say on the Humber AC it doesn't fit as a spare. I expect if you could buy a new set of correct size tyres every Humber AC owner would jump at the opportunity as would DAC Mk1 owners? 

But of course it will be down to demand and Barry's decision. Great job he is doing BTW! I have 10 of the new 9.00x16's on order for my Ferret and Morris C8.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad you asked 🙂

The latest update is that Daimler Dingo tyres will be available very  soon, followed by 10.50-20's as we have had a lot of request for those sizes. 

10.50-16 may happen later on but the interest level was not as great. 

• Like 4

Hi everybody, 

10.50-20's

quick question to those enquiring about 10.50-20 track grip tyres. They can be done but not cheap! They would come in around £500 each

we would like to gauge interest levels prior to pressing the go button. 

Specs would be 16 ply, 2000kg load, 50 mph speed rating

23 hours ago, RMS said:

Hi everybody, 

10.50-20's

quick question to those enquiring about 10.50-20 track grip tyres. They can be done but not cheap! They would come in around £500 each

we would like to gauge interest levels prior to pressing the go button. 

Specs would be 16 ply, 2000kg load, 50 mph speed rating

Hi,

If this is wrong someone please correct me.

While tyres of the right size for the Dingo are almost non existent the 10.50 X 20 size are easier to get hold off, but with a modern pattern? Or at least as far as I can see with a bit of googling.

So the key thing about the new 10.50 X 20, and the justification for the cost, would be the track pattern?

I have a C60L CMP as well as a Dingo. So I am potentially interested in the 10.50s I'm just trying to judge how much I want them Vs the cost🙂

With the Dingo the tires are 'needed' to ensure it stays on the road, it's a narrower call with the CMP.

Does anyone who knows more about CMP tires than me have an opinion?

Cheers

An inappropriate  tread pattern can ruin the appearance of a war-time vehicle but it depends on how much you are willing to pay to get it right.

The vast majority of people are currently running on 11.00X20 tires as this size replaced 10.50X20 in service during the late 1940's if not late-war.   I don't know if the 10.50X20 size rather than 11.00X20 is contributing to the cost in any way.   Probably not.

Good morning, Barry;

I still want a set of five 10.5 x 20 tyres in addition to a set of five  7.00x18.

Minnsey, as discussed earlier in the thread, 10.50x 20 tyres are hard to get.  11.00 x 20 tyres are common and used by many NATO trucks.  They are easy to get but look wrong and are sligjhtly bigger.

Cheers.

P.S. For planning purposes, how much are the  7.00x18 tyres each?