TV Repeat - Tenko Series

N.O.S.

Was a program on History channel the other night talking about the Burma RailRoad (think Bridge on River Kwai). They had the Japanese chief engineer on it and his version of the building of the railroad was VERY different from that of the survivors. No regrets or remorse whatsover, denied the beatings and atrocities happened. And is, apparently, telling modern Japanese children this version of events......

In Japan they are editing out the horrors they committed and will eventually become the victims and get that sort of culture visible in elements of German life - but by no means universally so. We have to remember that under the Bushido code, they didn't do anything. They had a completely different mindset to the west and were becoming a totally brutalised martial society. It bares analogy with the attitudes of middle eastern fundamentalism in some ways inasmuch as we cannot put western ideals into the heads of people who are just not like us.

Interesting point. I wonder if they'll re run Colditz or the other series - Secret Army??? something like that. Good for the time. I never got into Tenko. I think I was drunk for the period it was on. Yoof.

M

I'd like to see Secret Army, repeated. :-)

Was never into Tenko. :dunno:

Was never into Tenko.

I only found Tenko compelling watching because I found it so appalling - until the series ran, I conveniently ignored the plight of prisoners in the chain of hotels run by this operator.

Have to say I found the story extremely well told, as were some other wartime exploit productions (I'd forgotten about Secret Army, would gladly watch it again), we are good at some things in the UK!

My old friend, who was interned for quite some time, was spending the day with his son. He went down the garden to feed the family chickens. When he didn't come back, son went to investigate and found his father running around in a desperate state, absolutely distraught and unable to speak. An hour later he had calmed down enough to tell is son that he'd found one of the chickens dead, and revealed the following tale:

Every year, in late Autumn, the guards would give each hut a young chicken, to do with as they chose. The idea was that each prisoner would give up some of their meager rations to the chicken, so they would have something to eat for Christmas lunch.

Inevitably birds would die, and the hut concerned would then go to any length to steal a neighbouring hut's bird. It became the only reason to survive, and channelled everyone's energy and emotion.

This, some 50 years later, was the first time that he had spoken to his son about his camp experiences.

He died a few years back, so it's too late to tell him it never happened......

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see Secret Army, repeated. :-)

If you have Freeview, you're in luck.

Just caught part of an announcement that it's being run at 5pm, sorry didn't catch the day, starts next week??

Might help if I'd put the channel - UKTVHISTORY :whistle: