Fordson WOT2 height

Tom M

Hello to all, particularly any WOT2 owners.

I am about to put an order in for a timber garage/workshop.  But before I do I wanted to check the height of the Fordson WOT2. The quoted height of the garage doors is only 1.9m and I have read that the Fordson WOT2 is 2.2m high. Can anyone confirm this? I don’t actually own a WOT2 unfortunately, but it is on my list of vehicles that I would like to own, so I don’t want to make the garage too small to fit one in.

Confirmed height or experiences fitting one in a garage would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

I have a figure of 90" = 2.29m for a WOT2E GS with it's cargo tilt in place. Remember that if the approach is not dead flat the vehicle will be at a similar angle until it has all four wheels in the garage. Also the door opening may be rather larger than the actual clearance under the open door.

Extra height is also useful if you want to unload a modern van under cover or any number of other scenarios that only happen if the door is a bit too small.

David

I agree preparation and a overall plan is so important.  I built my workshop with no particular vehicles in mind, and the 1st vehicle I purchased was a Austin K9 radio vehicle which was 100mm higher than my workshop door!

B series..

• Like 1

A Ford WOT2 is 7' 6" high, and my Garage doors are 8 foot tall to enable me to drive it in. 

It is also 6' 6" wide, so you need at least 7 foot clearance.

Edited by woa2

Thanks for the info Gents. I hadn’t considered door width, doh! Was focussing too much on the height.

I haven’t identified a WOT2 yet, just really like the character of the truck and and the size, and as it’s likely to be the largest thing that I’ll get in a garage, so it’s on my wants list and something I will look out for. Haven’t seen one for sale though in a long time. I do have a tool kit spanner though, so it’s a start 😁.

Edited by Tom M

Ford WOT2 trucks are good, nice and fast but tend to overheat. Also it's like driving a car with the heater on permanently!! If you see them about, the windscreens are normally open and side screens never used. Also, use road or sand tyres on the front, not trak grip as a WOT2 will wander on a road.

Good luck finding a WOT2, and you will like it.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in the memory banks until I can find one. I have a Canadian Carrier with the same V8 engine and cooling system. Just had to have the radiator re-cored as it was like a colander! I filled the cooling system with expensive de-rust treatment and promptly spayed it all over the inside of the hull (and the people who were sat in the back :/(engine decks weren't on)). The radiator place said I shouldn't have any issues with over heating now as the modern cores are so much more efficient. Sounds like is might be worth doing to the WOT when I find one.

I've always wanted to own something with a V8 engine in it as I love the sound. I thought the Carrier would tick that box, but because you sit right in front of the radiator and fan you are deafened by the fan noise and can't really hear the engine. Plus it's not a very practical road vehicle...

From what I've heard from youtube videos of WOT2 Cabs you get just the right amount of noise (not that I've driven one in the flesh yet).

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

A quick scan over facebook last night looking for 15cwt forums came up with 2 WOTs which were sold on ebay in the last three to four months. I didn't even know they were up for sale. Damn, missed them both. One of which was a very original looking early aero screen vehicle, which would have been lovely. Someone got themselves a very nice vehicle.

Where do people find is the best place to look for vehicles? Obviously, just watching MilWeb is not enough!

• 1 year later...