Dodge WC 57 history

oats and barley

Question

I know its all been heard before but i am bored a bit fed up and its raining the dogs have never had so much exercise and we have not left our property in 3 months so i thought i would try to find a bit of history on my command car now i know you lot are very knowledgeable so can i ask a few questions did British forces use WC57s were they sold at places like Ruddington if not where would a US vehicle have been sold my Dodge was registered 20 /3 1973 so what did it do for 30 years it was supposedly a PATHE NEWS camera car and been involved in a couple of films the only sound information i have is it was purchased in 1982 from a garage in Christchuch Dorset the guy gave it a coat of olive brab  and got on the ferry and spent 2 weeks driving around northern France on his honeymoon it came back and was stored until i bought it 4 years ago it has no Norwegian or French markings it just intrigues me its history before 1982 does anybody remember seeing it outside that garage in Christchurch in 1982 with £200 on the screen

11 answers to this question

I don’t think British forces kept hold of American vehicles for long after the war, I used to own a WC51 that had been auctioned off and road registered in 1947, I would think it’s most likely that your WC57 spent time with either the French or Norwegian military before being sold on or it spent its life on a farm as a work horse and never road registered or stuck in a barn covered in dust until 1973!!

• Like 1

In the past i have had 5 dodges 4 ambulances and a weapons carrier French and Norwegian and have been all over this vehicle and there in nothing to indicate that it is F or N it has early bar treads and although it is not a WC58 it has the large radio in the back and the ceramic on the aerial is like a flying saucer original siren on N/S wing and something was mounted on O/S wing with 8 nuts and bolts no longer there was stuff coming out of Norway pre 1972  as said that lost 30 years intrigues me thanks

1 hour ago, Tony B said:

There is on the AWM site a film on vehicle rebuilds in New Zealand with a lot of Dodges if you've not seen it.

Tony you got 2 Dodges what was mounted on the o/s wing with 8 nuts and bolts and do you know what colour was factory Dodge under coat Charlie