MINE LAYER TRAILER / PLOUGH

Were those RE RL Tippers in the convoy or are they from a 1(BR) Corps RCT Tipper Sqn?  The top photo, of course, being RAF.  The RCT had large quantities of tippers for supporting RE in route repair & maintenance and in providing hardcore for approaches to river xrossings etc.

2 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

Were those RE RL Tippers in the convoy or are they from a 1(BR) Corps RCT Tipper Sqn?  The top photo, of course, being RAF.  The RCT had large quantities of tippers for supporting RE in route repair & maintenance and in providing hardcore for approaches to river crossings etc.

I think the RCT had those Bridging Bedfords, to bring the pontoons up

Top photo from my last is from the FVRDE catalogue of 1966, so generic.

Middle photo is unit 2/78, a 2 Div Field squadron from Osnabruck, but long before my time

image.png.e957a3398f82eee076225304bdbf0165.png

The Ranger (Thorn EMI) also had mounts for the Stalwart/Bedford. We had a mount still in its crate at the back of the HQ MT Land Rover bays, until it was finally returned to RAOC in 82 or 83.

I-Ranger-text-with-pictures.pdf

I like the little chap sticking his head out of the radiator cap cover!  Being sure about the CofG on an MGB always seemed to need a bit of luck.  We used to use a tin triangle which could be hung on the top rail as an indicator, but that still assumes that you've got it right in the first place.  Dummy Ranger mines were made of compressed compost - early attempts by the Army to be green and what happens... they get banned!

6 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Drill version of the carrot-shaped ELSIE ap mine.  Something odd about a laying drill that required the application of downward force via boot.

A

IMG_9562.jpg

Note the removable metal detector ring!  Something else which would be questionable nowadays (probably fortunately!)