Mystery Object No. 34

fv1609

Errr - washing lines for the other ranks??

Yes well done Neil, you've got the answer.

It is for drying clothes in camp circa 1921. The prize is to collect my dirty washing & show us all how the equipment is used 8-)

I still think my answer was more fun :cry: Does that mean the braziers were just that? Must have been fun when the wind blew. Got to ask what was the officers one like?

Yes, the two braziers were provided for heating. The equipment was universal for all ranks, but no doubt there were special allocations for specific ranks to use. Neil was rather too precise about ORs, but I think he was 99.9% there.

I still think my answer was more fun :cry: Does that mean the braziers were just that? Must have been fun when the wind blew. Got to ask what was the officers one like?

In 1921 an officer would have had a wallah (in India) or a batman. Action on officer's clothes needing cleaning is:

"Wallah / Batman (delete as appropriate), wash my clothes."

Straying off the topic a bit, as a young green tiffy app. I was once sent to the Indian guy in the Naval Stores for a box of dho B A uppa nichi dhobi not sure about the spellings. In my naivety I went, only to find out afterwards that dho means two, B A same, uppa means up, nichi means down and dhobi means wash. A box of 2 B A spring washers. His answer has mentally scarred me for life :drool:

John.