Digital camera's

ArtistsRifles

as to a slide scanner you could consider using something like an all in one scanner like the Epson photo rx620 which is a scanner printer and will do color or black and white printing or slide and negitive scanning along with multi memory formate transfer. something to look at if you like an all in one unit

I've got an Epson RX620 and can recommend this. It seems to do everything. Only problem I get is that I have some old 1940s 'Film Strips' which I would like to get copies of, but they don't fit the printer like 35mm does. Anyone got any suggestions?

I've got an Epson RX620 and can recommend this. It seems to do everything. Only problem I get is that I have some old 1940s 'Film Strips' which I would like to get copies of, but they don't fit the printer like 35mm does. Anyone got any suggestions?

I have got the Epson RX620 as well and can highly recommend it. I know what you mean about anything smaller than 35mm I to have some older pics which i could do with copying.

I've been using my Canon 350D (Rebel XT) for 2 1/2 years now. It takes excellent pictures on Auto setting right out of the box. Plenty of books on Ebay about how to use the different manual settings. The 350D differs a little bit from the 400D, 8 Mb as opposed to 10 MB. The automatic cleaning etc.

Practical items are: tripod (for indoor/museum pic's), UV screw on lenses to protect your expensive new Canon lenses, a good quality flash (Canon EX580 is top-of-the-line, and expensive).

I've just bought two new lenses with Image Stabilizing (IS), a 28-135 mm and a 70-300 mm. I'm a Tetraplegic and my hands are not too strong-hence the need for IS.

My two other lenses a Tamron AF 28-300 mm F/3.5-6.3 XR DO LD Aspherical (IF) Macro lens, and my Canon Zoom Lens EF 80-200 mm F/4.5-5.6 II, are up for sale. I'll be putting them on Ebay any day.

Canon, Nikon or Fuji etc. is a matter of personal choice. Read reviews on the net, try them out (borrow from a friend), then make your choice. Good luck!

As always,

Goran Noren

Sweden

• 2 weeks later...

I figure I'm on fairly safe ground talking about photography...

Canon/Nikon... personal choice.. makes no odds.. but, as it happens, I use a pair of Canon EOS20D cameras. They are a few years old now (having been replaced by the 30D and, just this month, the 40D) but do everything I need of them... and more... much, much more. They are what you might call mid-range cameras at about £600-£700 new for the bodies.

But, if I were using Canon's starter-digital SLR, the EOS450D at about £450, you would not notice the difference in a double-page CMV spread... or bigger. What the extra dosh bought me is, hopefully, extra sturdiness cum surviveability should I drop it.

I do not use Canon lenses. They are superb, but in light of the next bit of advice I'm gonna hand out, too expensive. Buy the best lens with the widest aperture you can afford. .. f2.8 if you can get it. If you check the Canon price list you'll see that anything with f2.8 against it is heart-stoppingly expensive... which is why I use Sigma lenses.

Converters? Not for me... unless the lens you are using it on is an f2.8 and the converter specifically made/matched for it you might be disapointed.

Auto focus... fantastic 99 times out of a 100.

Auto exposure.. . yep, most of the time. The trick is knowing when not to use it or when to compensate and how... or how to put yr duff shots right in the computer afterwards.

Just my opinion...

I totally agree with you John. Fuji are brill, I have been using Fuji for a few years now starting with the Fine pix S602 Zoom. I then went onto a Fine pix S5500 which took a good picture but I found it to be a bit small. I have now switched over to the Canon, the slightly old 350D. Have not had a chance to use it yet.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...