TANKS IN TOWN

Got back this morning from an excellent weekend in Mons at the " Tanks in Town" event. I know its called tanks in town but there are all manner of pre 1945 military vehicles there both allied and axis.This year the theme of the event was Half Track orientated and I believe there were almost 30 HTs there.

2007133.jpg

2007134.jpg

2007114.jpg

MONS2007040.jpg

There was also a Diamond T and Rogers trailer with a rare scraper, apparently the scraper had stood in a barn for over 40 years and only need a paint job to get it in the condition in these pics.

MONS2007012.jpg

2007078.jpg

We met up with an old freind from the USA, Charles Varner he is the president of the MVPA and also does a good impersonation of General George Patton, he had never ridden on a Sherman before so he came with us.

MONS2007015.jpg

On one of the offroad sections through the woods we passed the remains of a Half Track it looked as if it had been modified for forestry work and just left there.

On one of the afternoon stops in a small village a Belgium gent came over to us with an old photo album full of pictures taken on the 2nd September 1944, the day the village was liberated by the Americans. One picture was of a Sherman tank passing by his house, so as we drove by I stopped in almost the same position and Martin took a photo. I am sorry I cant do a now and then pic, but John Blackman was there and took photos of the album so maybe he can post some comparison shots.

MONS2007066.jpg

A view of the first halt.

MONS2007006.jpg

Coming through the countryside and into Mons.

2007045.jpg

The whole weekend was superb with good weather and I think anyone who attended will have a grin from ear to ear for weeks, I know I will.

I got home at 12 last night... our trucks were pulled by customs coming through Ramsgate for being radioactive (honest, it's the truth..) and all the guns checked which delayed us a bit, anyone else have problems?

It's a good show, and the last day is a lot of fun, but to anyone thinking of going be warned, you need to be fully self sufficient or in a hotel, the campsite is just rough ground and there are only 2 portaloo's and no showers, and by the end of sunday the woods are getting a bit stinky :shake:

The vehicle run is better than Bethune, but the camping lets it right down.

Richard

I got home at 12 last night... our trucks were pulled by customs coming through Ramsgate for being radioactive (honest, it's the truth..) and all the guns checked which delayed us a bit, anyone else have problems?

It's a good show, and the last day is a lot of fun, but to anyone thinking of going be warned, you need to be fully self sufficient or in a hotel, the campsite is just rough ground and there are only 2 portaloo's and no showers, and by the end of sunday the woods are getting a bit stinky :shake:

The vehicle run is better than Bethune, but the camping lets it right down.

Richard

Ah, rough eh. Just like real field conditions then!

Excellent. :-D

• 7 months later...
I m seeing quite a few new photo's that were'nt there before the crash ! Great restorations each and everyone of them . Shows how much interest the public also still has for HMV's !!

There were al here ABN - I think that site has so many posts that posts get knocked down - I always like to have a look through old posting.

I am trying to fix all broken links as I come across them :cry:

Your doing a Great job !!! Hope you will take a break now and then from this Heculian task of converting and recovering files aside from keeping a normal life !!!

:blush: haven't left the house all week.....

• 3 weeks later...