What was this for? Job card? 1959 Army Moke

59Prototype

I've been in discussion with a few friends about this holder. It's mounted in front of the passenger on the panel that could be loosely described as the dash. It's on at least one of the other 1959 Mini Moke prototypes. My guess is that some sort of document or card was slid in from the top. With the screw heads protruding it couldn't have been that easy to get the card or whatever to slide in.

Obviously it's an army fitment and not just on Mokes. Can someone explain what it was for please? Many thanks.

Graham Robinson

IMG-20180507-01884 - REV - RS.jpg

Edited by 59Prototype
spelling mistake

IT is not a job card holder as such on prototype vehicles the holder was used to hold a warning card which stated that no unauthorized work was to be carried out without instructions been first sort from the deputy director of engineering . Such a holder and card was still attached to the NUFFIELD GUTTY on the inside passenger side bulkhead  when at Beverley and hopefully is still intact at GAYDON

2 hours ago, 59Prototype said:

I've been in discussion with a few friends about this holder. It's mounted in front of the passenger on the panel that could be loosely described as the dash. It's on at least one of the other 1959 Mini Moke prototypes. My guess is that some sort of document or card was slid in from the top. With the screw heads protruding it couldn't have been that easy to get the card or whatever to slide in.

Obviously it's an army fitment and not just on Mokes. Can someone explain what it was for please? Many thanks.

Graham Robinson

IMG-20180507-01884 - REV - RS.jpg

The last time I saw one of those label holders it was on an MFO box, lol. Not seen one in a Military Vehicle before...

I’ve never asked the question before but presumably prototypes still belonged to the manufacturer (in this case BMC) and were out on loan to various branches of the services for evaluation. It would make good sense that in this case the army attached a card that gave instructions that the vehicle was not to be tampered with. In other words ‘It’s not ours so we are not in a position to mess around with it’. Is that a fair way to describe it?

Clearly if the Nuffield Gutty had one, in much the same position as it was on the Mokes, it was a system that had been in place since at least the 1940s. How long did it carry on?

What also becomes apparent was that it was a system that wasn’t just confined to vehicles. Looking at the photo of the one on the crate you can see that the three tags were designed to be bent over once the information card had been slid into position. Makes sense.

I’ll tell you something now. It’s something that has puzzled me for over 30 years! At last I have the answer! Thanks everyone for your informative comments.