Ferret purchasing advice

AmmoMan

Hi guys, went to look at a Mk2/3 today, just wondering how much it will cost to get back on the road. Yes I know how much is a piece of string, but someone on here has probably had worse and knows where the money will need to be ploughed into.

It was driven on a flat tyre until the wheel station went bang then left outside for years. bins rusted solid, no brakes, tyres badly cracked, everything corroded.

Interior and engine bay flooded with water/mud

Plus points, does start and run roughly, will move under it's on steam, turret turns, lights work.

25021651457_f668b98c7a_b.jpg

28112693049_3078f02535_b.jpg

28112688339_b9d193d332_b.jpg

28112690779_2804680e13_b.jpg

28112695469_2e4d28f88a_b.jpg

25021648907_565d18e36f_b.jpg

28112700119_9bdf28b919_b.jpg

Doesn’t look too bad. Ferret parts are starting to get hard to find and expensive, but you should be able to rebuild the wheel station. Brakes are a standard job if it’s been sat a while. All the big bits are there, the bins etc can be repaired.

Dear Mr Ammoman,  I am sure you have a name, I would use it if I knew it.

I echo what Chris (Sirhc) says, it is quite complete with extra bling like radios. You are in the UK so parts are far more plentiful than over here in the colonies. Trust me, we would rebuild what stuff you folks throw out, we cry often.

Paint makes a huge difference to looks, it it was all in primer it would look better.

Buy it now and get it under cover and start the process, what else would you spend your money on? Beer and smokes?

There wont be any more made. Good luck.

Hello hope it's now in your shed! Just go for it we all have to learn and the best way is to just get stuck in, there are always kind people that will give you advice or help get hold of bits your missing anything metal can be fixed. I am now almost finished stripping my Ferret that was from France and saw combat in the Algerian freedom war in 1960 and when I bought her she had sat outside since 1981 and it is going to be a very nice truck when it's done so yours ain't that bad:)

IMG_0698.JPG

10k is over the top for a Ferret in that condition as top whack resale for one in totally restored condition is around 15-17k so that doesn't give you a lot of budget if bought at 10k if you could get near 7k then you have 3 to restore and you have a sound investment as well as a very cool truck which will have been saved from the scrap pile.

9 hours ago, winchester said:

10k is over the top for a Ferret in that condition as top whack resale for one in totally restored condition is around 15-17k so that doesn't give you a lot of budget if bought at 10k if you could get near 7k then you have 3 to restore and you have a sound investment as well as a very cool truck which will have been saved from the scrap pile.

Exactly what I thought at the time, I offered 7.5K cash which I thought was fair but he was not even dropping a fiver off the price.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:33 AM, winchester said:

I don't think you will find a nicely restored Ferret for any less than 20k, if you do you better buy it. Look at what the one from the Littlefield collection sold for. I have seen others sell for $25k-$35k.

Edited by CaptMax

• 3 years later...

Firstly thanks for all the advice back in 2018. I kept looking and it may have taken a few years but it was worth the wait.

just picked this up, pretty much the same price as the Mk2/3 that I looked at back then but the condition of this is in a different league. Photo documented rebuild 7 years ago at John Dews however by now a few things need fixing as it's miss firing and not charging but all dooable, carb's already out for a clean 😀

51161814451_448c76840f_b.jpg

51168414906_be8e646322_b.jpg

51168408341_814c0e56e9_b.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to see you finally got one. Have you bought all the manuals and immersed yourself in them. Big check to make is the tyre circumference as per the manual. Dont neglect that one.

Electronic ignition changes these vehicles hugely

Have fun, you wont loose money.

What happened to the original one you were after?

7 hours ago, robin craig said:

Glad to see you finally got one. Have you bought all the manuals and immersed yourself in them. Big check to make is the tyre circumference as per the manual. Dont neglect that one.

Electronic ignition changes these vehicles hugely

Have fun, you wont loose money.

What happened to the original one you were after?

Yes to reading manuals, been working my way through all the fluid checks etc. Might go electronic ign but will have a crack at keeping it original & well maintained first.

I think the one I looked at and started this thread rotted for another year then I believe Nick Mead took it.