More green stuff in the neighbourhood.

martylee

I just found out that there's more green stuff in my neighbourhood. A friend of mine and I dropped by a neighbour the other day. He wasn't at home at the moment, but we got a quick look at one of his vehicles. A Canada Ford. The guy is supposed to be in his eighties, which might explain why I haven't seen him driving his vehicles.

width=480 height=600http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/canadaford3.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=480http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/canadaford2.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=480http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/canadaford1.jpg[/img]

Photo are taken with my cellphone, which should explain the poor quality.

Marty

It looks like the owner has taken very good care of it even though he's in his eighties. I can understand why he has kept it evven though he doesn't drive it much. I'll make sure to go visit him again, and find out how he got started with this hobby.

Marty

Martylee,

It would be really great if, perhaps once the winter nights draw in, one of you guys from Norway could give us a brief review of what WW2 vehicles the Norwegian army acquired, and for how long they were used.

We know that they bought GMCs by the kilometre, and had a lot of Dodges too, but I for one am surprised to see these slightly less common trucks in Norway.

It would be a very interesting story - thank you in anticipation :coffee:

Actually there was written a book on the subject in 2005. Of course this is in norwegian, so it's not easy to understand. A very good book with a small picture of each vehicle and some informastion. Unfortunately it doesn't say much about the amount of vehicles supplied. You would think that the army could tell how many they had owned, but it does say a little about the use of each vehicle.

At the moment I'm trying to gather some information about the use of these vehicles after the war. Mostly looking for photos and movies showing the use. Will share if I find anything intresting. Especially if I find numbers of how many vehicles have been used. In fact I will try to give you what you want N.O.S., but since this book lacks some info I'd like to look around a bit first. And of those winter nights that you mentioned, there's plenty!

Marty

Since I posted the photos I might as well write what the book says about this vehicle. The book "Motoriserte militaerekjoretoyer i Norge" ISBN 82-912118-43-9 Forsvarsmuseet Oslo

Ford F60L 239cid V8 95 hp

Total of 209.000 built, Came to Noray with the norwegian brigade from Scotland, a few also with british forces. Frequently used with Norwegian forces in Germany after the war. Used until the arrival of Marshall aid in the 50s.

marty

Really appreciate that. I'm sorry - I did not intend for you to do a lot of work on my behalf :oops:

In fact I will do some research of my own so I can better understand the history of the allied drive into the Denmark/Norway region, the mechanisation of the Norwegian forces, and the Marshall Aid programme in particular. I'm intrigued by the "Norwegian Brigade from Scotland".....

That sounds an interesting book, perhaps that and a Norwegian/English dictionary? :rtfm:

Many thanks,

Tony

N.O.S., this is one job I don't mind at all. And now I can say I have to do it because of you! :-D

As for the war in Norway and Denmark, it gets more intresting the more you read about it. In fact there were several hundred thousend (300-400.000)german troops in Norway during the war. This because Hitler expected a allied invasion in the northern part, which also was planned. After the North African (torch) landing it was obvious for the allied that a invasion of Norway and Normandy would be impossible. What happened was that german forces were tied up in the north far from the front. (Not counting the russian)

As for the norwegian brigade in Scotland. Don't remember the exact location, this was norwegians that fled from norway and signed up in England. They very so many so they like the polish and others I guess, got their own regiments. There were also several norwegian squadrons in the RAF.

Marty