Army Open Day Pirbright 4th August

As a follow on from the Horse Guards event, those that attended have been invited to display their vehicles for the Army at this upcoming open day.

The Essex contingent already have their vehicles in storage there as we are never one to turn down an opportunity to assist. :whistle:

Other bits of kit already onsite are Challenger 2, Cheiftain, Supacat and one of the best looking Abbot's I have ever seen ( honestly it looks like its just come out of a showroom)

The Army report that there will be approx. 39 vehicles on display altogether with both a rolling display and static one planned.

This is themed as a "Family" day for the recruits undergoing basic training so there will be other attractions onsite as well.

Unfortunately this is one that is invitation only and not open to the general public.

We will endeavour ro provide as many pictures as possible on our return and a brief report will also be posted.

As a follow on from the Horse Guards event, those that attended have been invited to display their vehicles for the Army at this upcoming open day.

The Essex contingent already have their vehicles in storage there as we are never one to turn down an opportunity to assist. :whistle:

Other bits of kit already onsite are Challenger 2, Cheiftain, Supacat and one of the best looking Abbot's I have ever seen ( honestly it looks like its just come out of a showroom)

The Army report that there will be approx. 39 vehicles on display altogether with both a rolling display and static one planned.

This is themed as a "Family" day for the recruits undergoing basic training so there will be other attractions onsite as well.

Unfortunately this is one that is invitation only and not open to the general public.

We will endeavour ro provide as many pictures as possible on our return and a brief report will also be posted.

Errrrr - this was the Deep Bronze Green one... That was behind the Stalwart when it was reversed in....... :whistle: :whistle:

If so............... Things have changed a bit........ :whistle: Terrible stuff that Beltring mud.....

PLEASE NOTE

I've had a couple of messages about attending this event... Please Note this is a closed event run by the Army, there is NO access for the public or for Forum members to attend with their MV's

I had a call from someone yesterday asking if I wanted to join their convoy to Pirbright. I said I thought it was invite only but he said they were told they could just turn up :dunno: I'm busy anyway so it's irrelevant to me.

I had a call from someone yesterday asking if I wanted to join their convoy to Pirbright. I said I thought it was invite only but he said they were told they could just turn up :dunno: I'm busy anyway so it's irrelevant to me.

It's a Families open day for Servicemen, not an open invite, this was confirmed yesterday, perhaps they saw this thread & it caused confusion or they have had a direct invite. :dunno: wouldn't like to see anyone turning up & getting turned away at the gate because they are not on the list... did they take part in the Queens Pageant :dunno:

It's a Families open day for Servicemen, not an open invite, this was confirmed yesterday, perhaps they saw this thread & it caused confusion or they have had a direct invite. :dunno: wouldn't like to see anyone turning up & getting turned away at the gate because they are not on the list... did they take part in the Queens Pageant :dunno:

It's not anyone from here. I don't think they were involved in the Pageant. They're planning on taking a REO, RL and 101. I'll give him a bell and check he knows the score. Cheers for the heads up :tup:

It's not anyone from here. I don't think they were involved in the Pageant. They're planning on taking a REO, RL and 101. I'll give him a bell and check he knows the score. Cheers for the heads up :tup:

If he needs to know anything else PM me his name/number & I'll give him a ring...

Just called him to check: apparently they had a personal invite from a Major-General or summat so it's all ok. :-)

Not a certain Major Mike "I'm off on a cruise but I've left my long-suffering Sargeant major to sort it all out for you" Whatley was it??? :-D :-D :-D

Never driven a ferret before but have driven a saracen sometime ago. I am sure we could find an empty road for a driving lesson. :tup:

Or a large empty parade ground.. it's just that I can't drive two MV's in the vehicle parade they are having :-D

Or a large empty parade ground.. it's just that I can't drive two MV's in the vehicle parade they are having :-D

Shame you are completely on the wrong side of London for me. Ferret is without doubt the best ride you will ever have.

Shame you are completely on the wrong side of London for me. Ferret is without doubt the best ride you will ever have.

I;ll admit to being biasd here - but I like the Stalwarts ride - don't get the speed but nothing much stops them. Certainly not Beltring mud of any depth despite the predictions of a certain arena commentator

Got home from the show today - John, Lee & Ian are still down there as Phil Benham is shipping our vehicles back tomorrow AM to Damyns hall ready for the weekend. I had to leave early as in about half hour I'm off taking our caravan back to Weton Super mare for warranty work. This means I will have driven over 90% of the M25 by midnight!!

It was a good weekend, accomodation this time was adjacent to the Sgts Mess and we ate in the Permanent Staff dining hall. Q goodly number of vehicles there from the modern AS-90 and MRRL to WW2 Jeeps and Dodges etc. Amazingly it seemed none of the modern army knew what we had - one chap actually asked if all our kit was American!! :dunno:

Vehicles were all static, no parade but not bad thing really - at least the grass was safe. Hopefully it will be re-run next year and - equally hopefully we'll all get invited back!!

Funniest sight of the weekend had to be CSM Wann, Malcolm and Phil in the bar at midnight on Friday swaying togther like metronomes..

Trip there and back was eventful - my SAAB refused to start so I had to use the old Series 3. Seemed happy at about 45 mph so it was an long trip. Got a few funny looks arriving at the gate house in a cammo Landrover. On the way back I had two young idiots try to undertake the Landie on the M3 - wonder if the funny snell has left them yet??? Then when I got to Dartford and changed lanes over to the auto toll for some reason the landie decided to slew into a broadside momentarily. Fun or what!! Behaved impeccably on the rest of the trip home though...

Pirbright seems to be in the news for other reasons, at the mo; :-(

Just what no one needs or wants...................F&M >:(

Sorry for rant,..................last time it happened, quite a few good mates had real hard times, and a couple havn't recovered,..............yet.

Glad the event went off, Ok, though. :-)

Andy

Just recieved this from HQ at Pirbright

On behalf of all at ATR Pirbright we would like to thank you for attending our open day. It was a great day and your contribution was greatly appreciated by all.

Thanks again for all your help and hard work.

Jo Viner, WO2 K Wann & SSgt Little

Yanno ..............it gives one a warm fuzzy feeling when people appreciate your efforts dont it??

For those who took part there is a little extra on the message but I am sure you can all guess what that is :whistle:. Needless to say, three square meals a day, accomodation and £1 a pint, what more could we want