Dress Uniforms

Interesting question, this;............ :whistle:

At most dances, there are quite a variety of uniforms being worn,..........both correctly, and (unfortunatly) otherwise.

I guess looking at any dress code attached to said event, MAY help.

Can I ask, why do YOU want to wear this uniform ??............has it, or one of its type special significance to you, or that you have it and want to 'get out of green', :-D. (and there's nothing wrong with that, :-()

Personnaly, if I'd got said uniform, and knew how to wear it, correctly,......I'd do so. (although, I'd remove any obvious awards/medal ribbons, etc, - and, maybe's as important, - gen up on what I was wearing, history, etc,..........just in case someone asked. ;-))

Yes you MAY get 'flak', from some quarters,..........there is quite a debate going on, in certain reenacting circles, over those who dress up and portray officers etc, when their age would maybe not give creedence to such a portrayal. (not even going into the wearing of medal ribbons etc :roll:)

Maybe's the way to go, is wear it,(unless dress regs for the event state not to) and enjoy yourself.

All the best.

Andy

The reason that I want to wear it is simply because, I like it. Let me try to explain more, I love this site, and I appreciate the sacrifice that members of the Armed Forces have given, and are prepared to give. My reason for getting involved here is an extention for my love of wartime community spirit.

Go back to the sixties and the release of The Beatles Sgts Peppers Album. A great deal of tosh was said about the defamation of the military uniforms that were worn. With that in mind, and with not a care to the so called purists, Is it legal, for me, or anyone else, to wear a military uniform, in a fancy dress sort of way, without incurring a charge of bringing said uniform into disrespect?

The sort of functions that I enjoy going to always have people of all ages, dressed up in various sorts of uniform, in order to give the venue a sense of authenticity.

My thanks to Lee Enfield, I would also much appreciate the comments from any veterans.

The reason that I want to wear it is simply because, I like it. Let me try to explain more, I love this site, and I appreciate the sacrifice that members of the Armed Forces have given, and are prepared to give. My reason for getting involved here is an extention for my love of wartime community spirit.

Go back to the sixties and the release of The Beatles Sgts Peppers Album. A great deal of tosh was said about the defamation of the military uniforms that were worn. With that in mind, and with not a care to the so called purists, Is it legal, for me, or anyone else, to wear a military uniform, in a fancy dress sort of way, without incurring a charge of bringing said uniform into disrespect?

The sort of functions that I enjoy going to always have people of all ages, dressed up in various sorts of uniform, in order to give the venue a sense of authenticity.

My thanks to Lee Enfield, I would also much appreciate the comments from any veterans.

Further to your answer, I'd be inclined to wear it,.............its NOT a current uniform, (is it ??) certainly not british forces issue,........(I'm assuming your posting from this soggy isle, :-)) so the (possible thoughts of)disrespect issue's SHOULDN'T be an issue.

As I said in first posting, I'd be inclined to gen up on uniform, then anyone interested can be given 'chapter and verse',.........by yourself,...thus (hopfully :roll:) negating any 'negative feelings'.

I think I'm right in saying that its quite legal to wear (almost) any uniform, as long as one doesn't try and pass oneself off as such...............(exceptions, are police,both civilian and military, and possibly other units) I do not have a military background, but feel quite OK and proud to wear uniform of the 40's as its in keeping with what I'm (hopfully) portraying........

If you do wear it to Jitterbug Ball, post some pic's. :-) :-)

I would say that by wearing the uniform you are in fact showing respect, in that you are intending to wear it at an event befitting it, and presumably behaving in a reasonable manner ? :-)

Respect is a personal thing, if it isn't your intention to be disrespectful then you wouldn't be in my book.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong at all. (Unless your dancing is as chronic as mine) :-)

Go for it...

If its done well and with a degree of respect (ie not robbing the post office in it or getting paraletic and throwing up in the street) then it should be okay.

I go to a lot of 40's dances and always wear a dress uniform. I've never served (certainly not in the USAAF) but feel that as long as i behave meself when wearing it and try to remember what the guys who wore it for real, had to go through to wear it then its okay...

As LeeEnfield said as long as you know what you're wearing and what it represents (if asked) then I certainly wouldn't see a problem...

& Remember that a good 80% of the crowd at an event are probably thinking the same thing as you :-D

go for it and wear it with pride as i am sure you are not a lager lout who just wants to wear it for fun and end up throwing up on it :tongue: :tongue:

as a ex rmp i wear some uniform occasionaly at shows with my 109 :police:

one rule i have is my dress uniform with medals is shown not worn as i do not now have the right to wear full blues as a civi but a few come up and ask about the corps which i will talk about

last year as was my final as reserve i wore no2's for rememberance day parade and the other rmp there were proud that i had turned up correct with mirror boots and white belt 8-) but now it has been put into suit covers to show the uniform only

just make sure you polish all the buttoms and bull your shoes

and have a great night

Yes, go for it and have a great time!

Until only a few days ago I was one of the many who had real reservations about wearing any uniform, and must confess to being critical of those who did.

During my contact with USAAF veterans, I felt it would be extremely disrespectful to wear any uniform associated with their period of conflict, so I restricted dress to a pair of authentic overalls. That developed into an entrenched view.

So I walked around W+P for 3 days thinking how unnecessary it was for people to be wearing uniforms, not realising how much I was missing the plot!

Only after I got home, did I realise how much I had NOT got out of the whole event, and how much those who had worn uniforms (whether re-enacting or simply cruising around in their vehicles), had contributed to the overall atmosphere. So RESPECT to everyone who did bother to dress up! Still I think medals are an absolute no-no.

The very fact that you express concern means that you will wear the uniform with a respectful attitude. And it wouldn't be much fun having a whole hall full of spivs at a 40's do would it!!!

I think you'll find that any offence would be "Impersonating a member of the Armed Forces".

A friend once told me (mid-90s) about finding an officer's raincoat in a second-hand shop and wearing it on the street, still wearing the previous owner's Captain's pips. He was seen by by a pair of policemen (remember when there were policemen on the streets?) and the senior one clearly told his junior to go and nick my mate.

The conversation went something like, "Sir, are you an army officer and therefore entitled to wear the Queen's commission on your shoulders?"

"Do I look like an army officer?"

"No, that's why I believe you are guilty of impersonating an army officer, which is an offence under blah, blah, blah ..."

"But you say I don't look like an army officer? Not a very good impersonation, IS IT???"

The policeman walked away.

I believe these days, with surplus uniform available on any high street, the law comes down to wearing badges of rank on items of uniform to which you are not entitled (which is what my mate was doing). Personally, I wear a 1985 pattern combat jacket with all the badges of name, rank and German Linguist exactly as I wore them the day I left (in fact this summer I had to replace the original combat jacket which was disintegrating. It is therefore authentic but not genuine.)

No policeman has ever queried my state of dress (just yesterday I was asked by a Sainsbury checkout operator if I was in the army: it happens regularly). If a policeman did ever ask, I'd argue that I was a Sergeant in the Regular Army and entitled to wear it. If they argued I was therefore improperly wearing mixed dress, I'd argue that I have a receipt for the return of all the uniform issued to me and so I could not be wearing uniform improperly. Each end of this scale negates the other IMO.

I believe therefore that the OP is in no danger of being arrested for impersonating a member of the armed forces because he is not wearing the uniform of a member of the armed forces. My 85 pattern combat jacket looks like its current, but it isn't. How far back does one have to go before wearing old uniform ceases to be impersonation? 20 years (in my case)? 60-something years (the OP)? 200 years?

Disrespecting a member of the armed forces? It doesn't bother me a jot. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I wore 1922 pattern Peace Time Uniform of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars (which was still current if not normally issued) to my wedding. Adam Ant wore a poor imitation of a similar uniform on stage. I never lost any sleep.

My gut instinct is to wear the uniform with pride as homage to those who fought for your freedom to wear it. So long as you make no pretence of being entitled. it wouldn't worry me.

The sad thing is that a lot of my peers hold opposing views.

That was much appreciated, you should write a book.

If you hunt, you may find "Armoured Farmer - A Tankie's Tale" which just published.

No it isn't mine: the author was in the same job in 3RTR in the same locations as I was in 15/19H at the same time. I gave it a technical proof read before it published. (He didn't give me long enough to do a proof read for typos and grammar.)

But he has got me enthused. It took me over ten years to write Chapter 1 - Redcap and a couple of weeks to write Chapters 2 - 4. Right now I am back patrolling the country lanes of West Tyrone.

It will be called "A Tracked Armoured Car." It might take another year or so to hit the presses.

If you hunt, you may find "Armoured Farmer - A Tankie's Tale" which just published.

No it isn't mine: the author was in the same job in 3RTR in the same locations as I was in 15/19H at the same time. I gave it a technical proof read before it published. (He didn't give me long enough to do a proof read for typos and grammar.)

But he has got me enthused. It took me over ten years to write Chapter 1 - Redcap and a couple of weeks to write Chapters 2 - 4. Right now I am back patrolling the country lanes of West Tyrone.

It will be called "A Tracked Armoured Car." It might take another year or so to hit the presses.

I'll be interested in reading this, when finished,................ :-)

Wanted to put my thoughts in on the matter of uniforms, etc.

As an ex-soldier I do not have a problem with people who wish to wear uniform of some description to shows, etc.

I am in agreement that uniforms add to the atmosphere of shows and the majority of people who wear uniforms to complement vehicles and reenactments go to extraordinary lengths to ensure the items they wear are correct in every detail.

I do however get the hump when I see people wearing a military uniform who look like they have just rolled out of a hedge backwards. Sorry, but army uniform and Mohican's hair styles just don't go.

If someone wishes to impersonate a member of the armed forces - and lets be honest - that is what wearing a military uniform with a vehicle is doing - they should at least attempt to impersonate a soldier in every detail.

I don't mean "impersonate a soldier" in a bad way.

I for instance sometimes wear a WWII uniform with my Ward La France. Even though I am a ex-soldier of the Queens Forces, I am still impersonating a member of the US Army from the WWII era.

The only thing I think is a real no, no is when people wear medals to which they are not entitled to wear.

Last year I was in the bar at W+P when this guy who wasn't more than 18 years old walked into the bar wearing a full American Marine dress uniform. His chest was covered in military decorations - and I mean covered.

I had to leave before I vented at him.

I have medals to which I am entitled and I have ex-colleagues who were killed whilst on operational duties. I find someone who wears military decorations to which they have no right very disrespectful to the memory of those killed whilst serving their countires.

So to sum up-

No problem with wearing uniforms - but do it properly.

If you wear medals which you are not entitled - please remove them.

The only time I am okay with people wearing medals who have not earned them is on remembrance days when relatives display medals their grandparents, fathers, mothers, etc were awarded during the various conflicts.

Markheliops

Wanted to put my thoughts in on the matter of uniforms, etc.

As an ex-soldier I do not have a problem with people who wish to wear uniform of some description to shows, etc.

I am in agreement that uniforms add to the atmosphere of shows and the majority of people who wear uniforms to complement vehicles and reenactments go to extraordinary lengths to ensure the items they wear are correct in every detail.

I do however get the hump when I see people wearing a military uniform who look like they have just rolled out of a hedge backwards. Sorry, but army uniform and Mohican's hair styles just don't go.

If someone wishes to impersonate a member of the armed forces - and lets be honest - that is what wearing a military uniform with a vehicle is doing - they should at least attempt to impersonate a soldier in every detail.

I don't mean "impersonate a soldier" in a bad way.

I for instance sometimes wear a WWII uniform with my Ward La France. Even though I am a ex-soldier of the Queens Forces, I am still impersonating a member of the US Army from the WWII era.

The only thing I think is a real no, no is when people wear medals to which they are not entitled to wear.

Last year I was in the bar at W+P when this guy who wasn't more than 18 years old walked into the bar wearing a full American Marine dress uniform. His chest was covered in military decorations - and I mean covered.

I had to leave before I vented at him.

I have medals to which I am entitled and I have ex-colleagues who were killed whilst on operational duties. I find someone who wears military decorations to which they have no right very disrespectful to the memory of those killed whilst serving their countires.

So to sum up-

No problem with wearing uniforms - but do it properly.

If you wear medals which you are not entitled - please remove them.

The only time I am okay with people wearing medals who have not earned them is on remembrance days when relatives display medals their grandparents, fathers, mothers, etc were awarded during the various conflicts.

Markheliops

Couldn't agree more with the above sentiments;..................

When I have the Bedford out and about,..do's etc; I too wear appropriate kit,......serge or denims, depending on temperature, etc ;-)

Which ever set I'm wearing, I'll do my utmost to 'get it right',................although, as I portray, 'on active service', my brasses are NOT shiney :whistle:

Well put.

I attended an event this weekend where a very smartly turned out Air Force Officer stood at the bar resplendant in his Class A's (which had no doubt set him back a fair bit... with a beautifully coiffeured pony tail :dunno:

The temptation to lean over 'n' snip it off was quite overwhelming :whistle:

Well put.

I attended an event this weekend where a very smartly turned out Air Force Officer stood at the bar resplendant in his Class A's (which had no doubt set him back a fair bit... with a beautifully coiffeured pony tail :dunno:

The temptation to lean over 'n' snip it off was quite overwhelming :whistle:

:evil: :evil: :evil:................. :whistle:

Intention and respect are the keys aren't they ? I think it has been very well covered in the previous comments.

I am never sure - for myself - what to wear . As someone who , shall we say, is well matured (in years only), been going grey since the age of 16 (although it's getting thinner by the day now anyway) and had facial hair to a greater or lesser degree since god was a boy, I don't feel that I could make myself a reasonable - or acceptable - re-enactor so tend to stick to either a green(ish) tee shirt and trousers or coveralls with black work shoes/boots on all occasions as any attempt to don proper uniform would look incongruous and possibly insulting to those who did for real .

• 1 month later...

I have my moderator's hat on here: This is a top quality thread with highly responsible answers to a fair question. I don't wear uniforms; was a soldier and was awarded no medals. I heartily agree with the overiding sentiment that wearing the uniform is fine - unmerited medals are another matter. Post up some pics of you in your uniform and wear it with pride. That is to say pride in yourself for daring to be different and making a statement about your interests. Party on! There are no sheep on HMVF.

• 2 weeks later...

when at shows, nearly always with the bedford, now, my B'dress (canadian 40's dated) is 'badged up as RASC and 11th Armoured Div, which corespond with the markings the bedford carries.

Over summer, however, as serge is way too hot, I wear denims,these carry no unit markings, I do, however wear slide on titles on shoulder tabs, which, technicaly are not correct for the period I'm portraying, (1944/45) do give those showing interest an idea. (If the MW was older type, and period being portrayed was 40/41, the wearing of such titles would be correct)

((I'll take my anorak off,......now. :whistle:))

Andy

I have my moderator's hat on here: This is a top quality thread with highly responsible answers to a fair question. I don't wear uniforms; was a soldier and was awarded no medals. I heartily agree with the overiding sentiment that wearing the uniform is fine - unmerited medals are another matter. Post up some pics of you in your uniform and wear it with pride. That is to say pride in yourself for daring to be different and making a statement about your interests. Party on! There are no sheep on HMVF.

A few weeks ago, researching A Tracked Armoured Car, I set out to see if I could find dates for 42 Royal Marine Commando in Belfast in 1976, to whom I was attached on my NIRTT course.

I did not find what I wanted, but I was surprised to find 42 Royal Marine Commando and Worthy Down (HQ RAPC while I was there) in the same breath. The article can be found by googling for +"42 Royal Marine Commando" +"Worthy Down" and there will be a single result returned, to http://www.rapc.co.uk/gallery/worthydown/worthydown.htm

I sat and read the article, then scrolled down a page. Imagine my surprise (and delight - I thought the picture was lost) when I saw the top right-hand picture, http://www.rapc.co.uk/gallery/worthydown/qguard.gif , which shows a quarter guard of Computer Centre Senior NCOs being inspected by the Adjutant General at the occasion of the opening of the new Adjutant General's Computer Centre about 1988-9.

I am the one with the medals (who isn't the Adjutant General).

Even if I have an old BAOR Land Rover when I am at shows I wear my obsolete Italian CDU model 1975 with webbing belt. The belt was adopted from the British Army and the uniform (sterile, i.e. no insignia) could be mistaken for a Brit one. It is pretty comfortable and useful when working on the Land or offroading.

With the 109" there are no alternatives. It has been a boy scout carrier most of its active life and I wear my Scoutmaster uniform when at shows...

Andrea

For me this has now been resolved - as mentioned in my previous post I have no entitlement to wear a uniform never having served in any branch of the services - but Jack's latest innovation - the HMVF boiler suit solves any problem . One for working & playing with the vehicles . One , kept pristine , for show wear will look suitably military and promote the Forum as a bonus .