My first truck MK1 Militant for restoration

Truck257

10 hours ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

You don't like hanging around!!  Very fast work.  Is that 2 pack? Looks very shiney

What's the Dawson motor behind yours? looks interesting

Got to crack on whilst the buzz is there, yeah 2 pack the chassis and all the green will be synthetic as it’s nice and thick and covers well. 

Well spotted its a 1915 Leyland, served in WW1 in the Egyptian desert apparently according to Google haha  

A850B60D-4365-411A-B520-13D2764C4DAD.jpeg

B8377502-E144-484E-AE2D-8ADEFF44CE81.jpeg

0F5D5807-847A-4F51-B004-541C098F924A.jpeg

8 hours ago, Zuffen said:

Even the ladder is colour coordinated!

Haha everything is Yellow I even bought a 1980 Land Rover Series 3 and within 5 weeks of purchase I did an engine swap for a 3L Essex V6 and sprayed it all family yellow 

47B9B02A-A563-4F9F-BD38-50FFAC3DC8D1.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Truck257 said:

Got to crack on whilst the buzz is there, yeah 2 pack the chassis and all the green will be synthetic as it’s nice and thick and covers well. 

Well spotted its a 1915 Leyland, served in WW1 in the Egyptian desert apparently according to Google haha  

Have  you seen the photo on the 1978 LB run or were you the owner at the time?

https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p971350189/h507b4532#h507b4532

1 minute ago, radiomike7 said:

Have  you seen the photo on the 1978 LB run or were you the owner at the time?

https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p971350189/h507b4532#h507b4532

Yes I’ve seen that one I’ve done loads of research into her. Unfortunately not the owner she’s just in for a check over and a few bits to fix, also on that L2B photo page you’ll see a 1913 FWD lorry, we’ve worked on that one too same owner as the Leyland 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally decided to crack on with my most feared job. The wiring.......... now to most of you it might be easy but because I am part of the youth generation it’s never been my strong point I could just about wire a plug in. So with no help and a wiring loom and a multi meter I set about re building the dash pod which turns out all the wires inside the dash had been disconnected so a full strip down clean up re wire and rebuild. And the dash switch board rebuild which was a case of strip read all the little wire names work out what the hell dose what use a boost pack to put feeds here there and everywhere and see where they come out haha. Now both rebuilt and in the vehicle working as they should I think. All to do now it to sort out what feeds and wires come out of the floor and tidy it all up. Scary moments I don’t like electrics haha 

P.S I do have the hand book with the wiring diagram in the back. That was a god send. 

BEE9BD4E-D202-469D-9DAF-D579EE1CF7BF.jpeg

A2655996-7F88-4582-96DD-BE217952DED7.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Out of interest Rob, is the tanker insulated return or conventional?

You would have thought it would be, being fuel related, but no, all standard chassis earth. However, handbook states electric to be isolated when loading or discharging fuel.

5 hours ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

Militant electrics are very simple compared to modern motors, but do shout up if you need advice.

I’m okay with modern stuff as long as it’s wiring and not electric diagnosing. Plus I have fancy computers but just getting used to all the wire names and things like that but thanks rob I’m getting there slowly enjoying it haha 

Another chapter in the horrible tale of.... Militant electrics and the boy who knew nothing. Haha this part was pretty easy just take them off take them apart read the wiring names inside label the wires so I know where they need to go clean up put together and paint. Simple easy and effective. Think I’m getting somewhere now. I think I’m going to start stripping the inside of the cab and start painting it next before re fitting all the electrical items 

6DF5E911-1D3F-4160-B484-D21C52A10CAE.jpeg

A47221AB-87B9-4027-99D3-C58C187FEDD1.jpeg

961FD625-0E6A-444B-AF1A-38085BCCD0D5.jpeg

E395D7AF-4DFB-4159-A971-673C31A94A2D.jpeg

1849D637-08CE-4DC8-AE11-4622AC27D791.jpeg

5FEB72E0-EBE4-442B-882C-6CD89FB276C9.jpeg

AF9742A1-2E82-480E-A63D-BF090F548F58.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well after stripping all the electrics out and taking them apart for a clean and investigation. Everything painted and ready to refit and hope they all work too. Finally got round to painting more of the inside of the cab. So far on the inside the top half of the cab is all painted and all the driver side, so ready for refitting of parts ie dash, all the electrics, seat and rear shelves. Hopefully really start cracking on with the final parts to get all the cab and electrics complete the finish painting the last of the panels so I can mask her up and spray everything else DBG. Hoping to get her back on the road for the end of this year. All complete painted all lights complete and ready to accept a body and crane one I can build a body and find a crane to put on her. Hopefully more regular updates from now till then  

BAF89EB7-AC96-4D54-ABE2-3F3FED1C973D.jpeg

Tonight was the night I’ve been dreading. Worse than taking the looms and wiring out, worse than taking them all apart and cleaning them and making sure there all serviceable. Was the fitting............surely they won’t work I’m useless haha. Wrong all fitted and after 3 months of standing she fired up with no fuel bleeding on the second turn. It was beautiful. A noise my ears had much missed. Once I composed myself I set about checking the charge rate and switching all the lights and make sure the feeds come out of all the appropriate wires for when the lights are connected and they all work. I’m astounded. And very happy. Can’t wait to get all the drivers side all built back up and ready

6B90B60C-B5D7-4533-8C4F-DF9A46B94543.jpeg

• Like 2

Haha the batteries are temporary. I didn’t have the strength to haul 2 big un’s in there this time of night so picked 2 smaller out of the scrap. I do have faith that it should work but just very daunting the whole sparkies thing. Definitely chuffed it worked just finished painting a few more bits for the cab 

Thanks mate she’ll look less like a yellow box once all the hardwares bolted on. The bumpers going black on the inside and black and yellow chevrons on the outside to match the yellow and black chevrons on the rear light boards that I’m going to make