Brian Bashall A Military Vehicle and Land Rover Legend

DUNSFOLD

I am sorry to inform you all of the passing of Brian at 1.30 Sunday. He was one of the first band of brothers to collect military vehicles and display them back in the mid 1960s. He will be missed by his boys Chris and Philip and staff at Dunsfold. He Has been active with all vehicles with tyres and tracks since the 1960s, Founded Dunsfold Land Rovers and off course the Dunsfold Collection which is now a registered charity. He stopped driving his assortment of Rovers, cars, Tractors and motorcycles 5 years ago and was wheelchair bound (with knobbly tyres) but still had a great tail to tell. I,m sure many of you have your fond memories of Brian seen in a Dodge 6x6, a £37.50 Dingo, Humber1 ton, Ward La France or Bedford QL i am sure its the QL that buggered his knees up! RIP Brian and we will miss you.

20112016.jpg

Hi Philip,

I am very sorry to hear of your father's passing. My sincere condolences to you and your family. It is some years since I saw Brian, but remember him well.

Your last comment about his driving the QL and his knees ........ I know that problem from personal experience as well.

Best regards,

Richard

We owe him a lot in the Land Rover & MV world. When Brian last attended a Dunsfold show 4 years ago or so he didn't look too well & didn't seem very mobile. But I'm glad I had the gumption to go up & thank him for his help to me in the early days. He got me my first Lightweight & was very helpful to a novice. I doubt that he remembered me that didn't really matter, but I'm glad I spoke to him. I remember my mother would always remind me that death was like a door slamming & after that it is no good wishing you had said things when it is too late.

Dear Bashall family,

Your father was a person who brought the world of Military Vehicles and odd Land Rovers alive and was a pivotal person in the concept of saving heritage vehicles. Growing up in the UK, many of us absorbed that and emigrated with that concept.

Condolences from Canada

I don't know of many people who haven't talked to him at some stage in their MV careers...lovely helpful man. I had a very long conversation with him many years ago when he was looking for somewhere to open up his collection, and bring it all together....great that he got it together...

Hello Phil and I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

I ran into your father years ago now and remember him particularly from a Sunday Times feature in which we were mentioned as part of the strange new hobby of MV collecting, if I remember rightly he was working on the LVT.

All the best and hope to see you soon.

Regards,

David Belcher.