If you have water and dirt in your fuel read on!

This one removed water. The gauze was so fine it would let fuel through but not water

My understanding is that the finest gauge gauze will not pass water within kero, DERV, petrol BUT only reliable for a bulk passage that you accept will still contain some small trace of water , after that you need a sedimenter then a final finishing filter prior to a carb or fuel pump. Obviously WW2 era. carb(s) and inject pumps are more tolerant of a bit of water content remaining.

Aux. engines for ships built in the 1950's (such as WW2 era. Rustons) - the final finishing tended to be done with a Alfa-Lavel centrifuge , plenty of water was removed along with magnetic swarf (wtf did it all originate on a 16 year old bilge & settling tank) & other sludge on the plates

Gauze water separation - I understand the theory is that all water has surface tension - hence you can see water 'balled' in the base of a container of fuel. Diesel contains wax and this gives a better (stronger) surface tension at the interface of the fluids. If the gauze is sufficiently fine then the surface tension can't burst and thus the gauze holds back the water like a dam, I suppose the lower the head of fuel against the gauze - the better it works.

Gauze water separation - I understand the theory is that all water has surface tension - hence you can see water 'balled' in the base of a container of fuel. Diesel contains wax and this gives a better (stronger) surface tension at the interface of the fluids. If the gauze is sufficiently fine then the surface tension can't burst and thus the gauze holds back the water like a dam, I suppose the lower the head of fuel against the gauze - the better it works.

Thats how I understood it worked