Bedford MWD vs MWR

POPPY

Good evening,

Could anyone possibly tell me if Bedford MWD's (GS Variants) were ever possibly converted to MWR's (Radio Variants) later on "in house" or were all Bedford MWR's manufactured as such straight from the factory floor.

I see that Bedford MWR's have extras such as a PTO and an under chassis generator to power the wirless sets, ordinary Bedford MWD's lack these.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind regrds,

Mark

1940 BSA M20

1944 BSA M20

1944 F60 LAAT

1942 L60 40mm Bofors (Otis Elivator Co)

1944 Mk5 BSA Infantry Bicycle

Good evening,

Could anyone possibly tell me if Bedford MWD's (GS Variants) were ever possibly converted to MWR's (Radio Variants) later on "in house" or were all Bedford MWR's manufactured as such straight from the factory floor.

I see that Bedford MWR's have extras such as a PTO and an under chassis generator to power the wirless sets, ordinary Bedford MWD's lack these.

Hi Mark,

Contracts were issued for MWR wireless trucks and they were built 'as is' straight from the factory. I know postwar, some MWR appear to have been converted to normal GS trucks.

Richard

Hi Mark,

Contracts were issued for MWR wireless trucks and they were built 'as is' straight from the factory. I know postwar, some MWR appear to have been converted to normal GS trucks.

Richard

Not wishing to contradict anyone the Chilwell 'B' Vehicles W.D. Numbers List 1944 contains several Contracts issued to Bedford for "Truck 15cwt 4x2 G.S. (Adapted for Conversion to Wireless)" possibly issued as G.S with the ability to be quickly adapted a thought

Ahh but did they have MWR or MWD chassis numbers ?

David

That is exactly the question I would ask David.

If a truck was 'adapted for conversion to wireless', I think that would mean it had the screened distributor and ignition system at the very least. If it was designated a MWD, then it would cause confusion on parts ordering, so I am sure it would be a MWR. Especially if this adaption was done in manufacture and under the Contract.

That is exactly the question I would ask David.

If a truck was 'adapted for conversion to wireless', I think that would mean it had the screened distributor and ignition system at the very least. If it was designated a MWD, then it would cause confusion on parts ordering, so I am sure it would be a MWR. Especially if this adaption was done in manufacture and under the Contract.

If you'd like the contract numbers perhaps you can say if they relate to FFR or not