Legal or not?

vor

Question

Hi, I was thinking of getting a M35A2 and a trailer for carrying my Fox to rallies, would anybody know the legal standpoint on this. some reckon I could do it no problem, others say it would require plaiting and commercial roadfund and insurance. anyone up to speed with the law would require.

Cheers Stan.

12 answers to this question

Basically the towing weight of trailer must not exceed the vehicle, except where the manufacturer declares it is a towing vehicle, ie Landy. Depending on the date of first registration of the towing vehicle, you may loose concessions such as free tax. Towing something like the Fox you may get into CPC country. Seriously check with DVLA. The rules are very complex. Your starting point has to be a vehicle not used for commercial use, she is a 'Lesiure vehicle'

The rules are very simple.

A goods vehicle (a vehicle manufactured or adapted for the carriage of goods) over 3500kg gross manufactured pre 1960, used unladen, is exempt from plating and testing. A trailer is exempt under the same conditions.

Private use only requires private tax, no O licence or CPC. Private tax precludes use in connection with any trade or business, not just for hire or reward.

As Mike points out, you could probably get away with it for years. Unless you had a problem......

You will indeed get away with it, until some idiot drives out of a side road straight into you or something similar.

At that point the Vehicle Inspectorate may visit the scene and inspect your (the innocent party's) vehicle. Then you will have a serious problem.

These exact words were spoken to me by a Vehicle Examiner when I had cause to phone DVLA, concerning the legality of towing vehicles on an A-frame where the brakes of the towed vehicle (if over 750kg or something) must operate whenever the towing vehicle brakes.

Also, your insurance may well be invalid.........

Do check with DVLA - the second time I tried the guy was actually quite helpful!

Hi folks, thanks very much for all your help. this is the reply from the DVLA

Thank you for your email.

If the vehicle is not being used for Hire or Reward, it would still be exempt from Excise Duty due to the age of the vehicle. In regards to the vehicle towing your scout car on a trailer, you should ensure it meets required Standards for towing.

I hope this information is of help to you.

Regards

Miss Jayne Ashman

http://www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

PS I never knew there were so much REO's for sale.

OK so what are 'The required standard for towing'? The first and most obvious is that the trailer must brake at at least 50% effeciency. Even this gets complicated a single axle must brake 50% a twin axle trailer each axle must brake 25%. At least they 'aint mentioned the dreaded O licence or Tachograph. I would print out the reply, you have a NAME!! and keep it with the vehicle then if Mr Plod gets uppity say "See them". Know any freindly CPC qualified artic guys? There the best to ask. Not teaching to suck eggs but obviously the trailer must have an air or electric system at that weight.

I need to find out unladen weight of an M35A2, the figures I have found so far varies between five and seven tons. I think I would properly go for a low slung plant type with the hydraulic suspension, that lowers them self flat to the deck for loading. much easer to load without ramps. I will print out several copes of the e-mail, pity it wasn't on headed note paper.

The towing weights should be in the manual surely? With ordinary cars it's kerb weight maximum, unless declared by manufacturer as towing vehicle. I know some contractors get round the rules by towing heavy kit with a 'Tractor', but that is pushing things. I like the idea of a break back trailer . I've seen one artic unit that is used for recovery of artics or buses. 3 axles that move up the trailer to lower it, I nearly drowned in drool. And it had a big bonneted Scania on the front. Dear Santa....

Towing a loaded trailer then removes the vehicle from the Historic exemption category, you will need the right category HGV licence and the towing vehicle would have to be tested unless its a recovery vehicle with lifting device, ie a crane, and then suitable insurance.....

There isn't a problem with "light" vehicles under 7.5 tons gross weight including loaded trailer,I tow my Jeep behind the Dodge, which is MOT'd and thats ok, its when you get into larger ie, over 7.5ton gross HGV stuff, the exemption from test and hgv licence only applies to pre '60 vehicles used privatley and unladen and can tow an unladen trailer.....mmmm spose you could always get a drawbar signals trailer converted into a caravan, which is ok to tow behind your exempt truck and load a vehicle inside it....

keep the curtains drawn though when travellng :-D