Mystery wheel

kevin powles

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the inside diameter of the wheel bearing, in comparison with the size 10 boot, I would not think it was for a rear axle of a lorry as by the time it was slid over an axle tube the halfshaft would have to be as small as a car one. I go for a haulage trailer ........ if it is not found to be from an AFV.

when i first saw it i thought t34 but the gap between the wheels looks too narrow for the track horns so i would say it's truck wheel

what do you mean, like the old WW1 trucks with solid tires or half-track back wheels?

I agree the gap looks suspiciously narrow for tank-tracks, my first thought was Sdkfz 11 but they're too heavy for that . The Germans stuff looks like stamped sheet-metal except for the drive wheel.

ok, this is tough one for sure, and we really need the OP to post any info that might be cast into the steel or rubber, but my best guess is an Idler wheel from a French AFV of WW2 where the track horns run on the outside of the track and the wheels are captured between the horns.

More specifically, the Renault R35, which seems to have a different idler on almost every surviving example but this one is really close. Holes are a little smaller but with so many different variants, this could be one type

R35 idler wheel.jpg