Lost 4th & 5th gears

militant-nick

Dear all,

on the way back from a local show this evening I lost 4th & 5th gears in the militant. Every other gear works fine. I managed to get enough speed in 3rd to put it straight to 6th & run it the last 8 miles back to base. I can now attempt to put the box in 4th or 5th, take my foot off the clutch pedal & the engine runs as though in neutral. When the truck was hot it felt quite loose when trying to select these gears, rest felt normal. With my Dad tonight, we've checked the movement of the selector rod from the bottom of the gear lever to what we think is the 'relay' or 'remote' box bolted to the o/s of the gearbox and it seems fine. Thoughts are that its a part broken within the relay/remote box rather than the gearbox itself (I hope). 4th & 5th gears are in the vertical plane when changing up or down.

i welcome thoughts from those in the know. The photo below shows the selector rod coming in from the right cab end of the truck into the small relay or remote box bolted to the gearbox.

Regards,

Nick

image.jpg

Dear all,

on the way back from a local show this evening I lost 4th & 5th gears in the militant. Every other gear works fine. I managed to get enough speed in 3rd to put it straight to 6th & run it the last 8 miles back to base. I can now attempt to put the box in 4th or 5th, take my foot off the clutch pedal & the engine runs as though in neutral. When the truck was hot it felt quite loose when trying to select these gears, rest felt normal. With my Dad tonight, we've checked the movement of the selector rod from the bottom of the gear lever to what we think is the 'relay' or 'remote' box bolted to the o/s of the gearbox and it seems fine. Thoughts are that its a part broken within the relay/remote box rather than the gearbox itself (I hope). 4th & 5th gears are in the vertical plane when changing up or down.

i welcome thoughts from those in the know. The photo below shows the selector rod coming in from the right cab end of the truck into the small relay or remote box bolted to the gearbox.

Regards,

Nick

interested to know what this is...

Hi

Interesting thread and problem, hope you will share photos of what you find.

Having had similar problems on other old trucks, of loosing a gear of pair of gears it is always a challenge to diagnose the problem until you open the top of box and look in. Glad you are trying to attack the problem from simple to more complex. It is always such a shame to find out that it was something in the linkage out side the gear box after you have the gear box out and on the bench.

Again look forward to seeing what the actual problem is. I'm hoping it will be a loose set screw.

Cheers Phil