New addition Bedford QL

johann morris

A new addition has just arrived, Chassis number QL 43190 so produced in 1945 and looking at the winch gear, I think its a QLB but other more knowledgeable members may know better. The crane / jib is obviously a post war addition. If anyone knows differently I would love to hear as Bedford's are all new to me. I have just always wanted one.

Jonathan

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

DSC02808.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

A new addition has just arrived, Chassis number QL 43190 so produced in 1945 and looking at the winch gear, I think its a QLB but other more knowledgeable members may know better. The crane / jib is obviously a post war addition. If anyone knows differently I would love to hear as Bedford's are all new to me. I have just always wanted one.

Jonathan

Or a QLW. ?

Jonathan

Congratulations Jonathan, welcome to the club!

Always wanted one and now all I have to do is decide which version it was and rebuild it, easy....not. The QLW had crossed my mind but it would have to be one of the first 400 according to Barts book as I cant see any of the air portable features. I suppose someone who knows the small differences in the chassis mountings would be able to tell. That is, of course, unless there is a list of which chassis became which model.

Anyone?

Jonathan

If it were a QLW (Tipper), as some of these were airportable, meaning that the chassis splits. Cannot see any sign from your photos. Best bet is a QLB.

On the serial number plate, the number you are reading as a chassis number, not sure but think that is the engine number (original engine) as it is only prefixed QL and chassis number is above that as I thought. Check the number stamped on the nearside of chassis just to rear of cab. It will be prefixed with three letters, ie QLB if a gun tractor.

cheers Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant
grammar :(

Thanks Richard, I will check in the morning. The number above the QL numbers appears to be D/109, the new log book states the chassis number as QLD10936809 but the old brown log book states D/109. QLD's don't have winches, do they?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I am unsure of what D/109 signifies, it is not a contact number for an army QL. If we take that element away from the number in you log book, that gives us a chassis number of 36809, now with an engine number on the plate of 43190, this could line up with production figures (bear in mind that more engines were built than vehicles).

See below in attachment and you will see what I am getting at;QL production figures.JPG

No winches on QLD.

Richard, that makes sense, so what ever it is was made in 1944. I cant find a chassis number on the chassis but a lot of brackets have been added post war so it could be under those I suppose. I had a good look at it with a fist full of photos of other QL's and its not a QLB OR W as it longer, (see pictures) and looking at the spring packs on the rear it was built to carry a lot of weight. However the main winch drum and the cross member carrying it doesn't look like it has been added later on.

The last chassis cross member also appears to be the reverse of a QLD cross member. So all in all I don't know what it was other than a QL.

Oh well back to the sanity of the CMP.:nut:

Jonathan

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02811.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02813.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

Hi Jonathan,

I am looking at the manual of chassis dimensions and drawing shows a QLB to be 12 inches shorter from rear spring hanger to end of chassis, yours is not looking like a QLB or W chassis. Something else, looking at some photos of a QLW chassis with winch fitted, the winch fairlead sheaves are mounted just forward of the rear spring hangers. It would seem that the winch gear could have been transferred to a non-winch chassis (longer, ie QLD, QLR, QLC). Also the rear brings have increased to cope with the jib lifting load.

Next week I will try and get a photo of the exact location of the chassis number on mine so you can narrow your search.

Richard

Hi Jonathan.

I was told that the later cabs have a bolt in pannal under the drivers windscreen round the door post. Also do you have the hole in the roof for the hip ring?

If not it the cab should be before late 43.

I am not aswell up on the QL as the OY but my 44 QLT has the bolt in pannal and hole for the hip ring. The hip ring was first fitted 3/4 of the way through 43 on the OY's. I would think the QL's would be the same.

Both of my OY's have no chassis N,o, stamped in that I can find but I do have plates in the cabs.

I wish you the best with your restoration and hope you go to the trouble and cost to put the body work back to QLB.

Peter.

Hi Jonathan,

I am looking at the manual of chassis dimensions and drawing shows a QLB to be 12 inches shorter from rear spring hanger to end of chassis, yours is not looking like a QLB or W chassis. Something else, looking at some photos of a QLW chassis with winch fitted, the winch fairlead sheaves are mounted just forward of the rear spring hangers. It would seem that the winch gear could have been transferred to a non-winch chassis (longer, ie QLD, QLR, QLC). Also the rear brings have increased to cope with the jib lifting load.

Next week I will try and get a photo of the exact location of the chassis number on mine so you can narrow your search.

Richard

Hi Richard your right the chassis to long. It should end 4" behind the behind the rear spring hangers but the winch gear is all original. I have been looking at a picture of a QLB without a body and could not see what was wrong. But the rear rollers and pulleys are about a foot to far back.

Peter.

Something else I have noticed, it has a vacuum tank on it. These were fitted to QLC models that were used to tow vacuum braked trailers, mostly RAF as I am aware. This might tie in with odd scraps of blue paint (RAF?) showing, especially around the data plate. A QLC would included variants such as refuellers that also towed a bowser trailer (RAF using a lot of vacuum braked trailers).

So I assume from your comments that QLB did not have vacuum brakes, interesting. Did QLC have a winch then? I thought it was only the QLB and W that had them. The tanker theory makes sense because of the extra spring leaves.

I am glad that I am not going to start the restoration for some time, it will give me time to decide what to do with it.

Jonathan

Its never simple.

So I assume from your comments that QLB did not have vacuum brakes, interesting. Did QLC have a winch then? I thought it was only the QLB and W that had them. The tanker theory makes sense because of the extra spring leaves.

I am glad that I am not going to start the restoration for some time, it will give me time to decide what to do with it.

Jonathan

Its never simple.

Hi Jonathan,

not sure a tanker would have had more spring leaves, what I meant was that who ever convert this for timber work, would have put heavier springs on to cope with the load when lifting timber with the derrick. Winches were only fitted to QLB gun tractor and QLW tipper, both of these had the shortened chassis. I am sure this QL has been converted to a winch truck after its demob.

Richard,

The more I look at it, the more I think that you are correct but someone has gone to a lot of trouble on the main drum mechanism and attachment to the chassis, then done a real bodge on some of the other items, strange really. I wonder what it will end up as, time will tell.

To answer Peter75 question yes there is a hip ring but it has been blanked off and the cab is a two piece design top and bottom.

Jonathan