Mg 42

BIGREDONE

Question

6 answers to this question

I know it has 1960 printed on this MG42 but is that the real date, can anyone point me in to the direction of a serial number data base? or what any of the other markings mean apart from the proof house one.

Thank you

Is this a Yugo MG42/56? As far as I know all MG42s made in Germany were 7.92mm as 7.62 didn't exist until the 50s

Ok it's not Yugo, could be an early MG42/59 but I'm no German gun expert so could be way off.

No I thought it was Yugo when offered to me but there was no Yugo crest that you normally see on the top...this one has no marking on the top just the markings as pictured. It does not have the wartime spec AA sight mounting....Just wondering if it is wartime or post war??? Ill take another look in the day light to see if I can see any other markings.

The de act cert states Light Machine Gun MG 42 Country of Origin Germany....done by Sherwood arms in 1996

It's post war German and an MG42/59, made by Steyer to re-arm the new Bundeswehr. It's correctly marked, it's almost identical to the wartime one but with the differences that you mention. They were only in use for a short time before being replaced by the MG1. They also have a slightly slower rate of fire.

It's post war German and an MG42/59, made by Steyer to re-arm the new Bundeswehr. It's correctly marked, it's almost identical to the wartime one but with the differences that you mention. They were only in use for a short time before being replaced by the MG1. They also have a slightly slower rate of fire.

Great thank you, I have just a done a search myself before I read your post and every web site basically states what you have said. Thank you again....im happy with that.