Hot rod tank

Norbo

Having just seen the vid of the ferrit with a V8 in it i was wondering has any one fitted a far better engine in tank . removed the flat 6 E Type motor and fitted a V8 or a big landrover diesel something with a lot more power . or is it even possible with the gear box .

Having just seen the vid of the ferrit with a V8 in it i was wondering has any one fitted a far better engine in tank . removed the flat 6 E Type motor and fitted a V8 or a big landrover diesel something with a lot more power . or is it even possible with the gear box .

I believe the Irish Defence Force put a Merlin in a Churchill.http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12989.0;wap

jh

wow that V12 Merlin motor looks ace . I was thinking of something for a CVRT though like the motor out of a modern Range rover a powerful diesel . I know nothing about sutch things and i know tanks have a funny gear box so most likely you cant put the 2 together just wondered if any one had done anything like this that's all . bearing in mined a family diesel Scoda estate car id more powerful then the old E type motor nowa days

I think a Merlin rotates in opposite direction, so they would had faster reverse gears than forward.

Probably a Meteor engine!

Good point, but the account says, "..The Air Corps had five other Merlins ready - including numbers 191406, 190911 and 191281. These were all Merlin Mk. 55M engines formerly fitted in Air Corps Vickers Supermarine VS.506 Seafire LF III fighters"

Though it also mentions that the superchargers were removed!

jh

Good point, but the account says, "..The Air Corps had five other Merlins ready - including numbers 191406, 190911 and 191281. These were all Merlin Mk. 55M engines formerly fitted in Air Corps Vickers Supermarine VS.506 Seafire LF III fighters"

Though it also mentions that the superchargers were removed!

jh

There's not a lot if difference between Merlin and Meteor, so I'd assume that if it wasn't going backwards at an ungodly speed, they'd probably converted one into another. Unless they put some kind of special gear/transfer box in the way to reverse the drive.

The first Meteors were actually made from Merlins, including crashed ones that were recovered but no longer flightworthy.

The first Meteors were actually made from Merlins, including crashed ones that were recovered but no longer flightworthy.

An engine that fell from the sky is a Meteor, makes perfect sense.

I know for trials the CVR(T) was fitted with a big V-8 aft where the turret basket had been. The turret was removed and a big rollbar fitted. It was done to see how fast you could push tracked armour. I gather the track pads started coming apart ~88mph.

The diesel programs variously implemented for the CVR(T) all constitute a power increase The Styer motor is basically the same as a high-end BMW and was used in Repaircraft "world's fastest tank" . The Cummins 6BT conversion done for the MOD uses a uprated gearbox as well and the 6BT used is set very mild, one could coax over 1000 HP from a modded engine. Cooling and gearbox become the limiting factors quickly but if one sacrificed some armour to improve air flow and get the weight down one could easily get something that would be willing to snap tracks. Of course there are track alternatives that might hold up better now as well. How badly do you want it and how deep are you pockets is what it comes down to.

People have had fun with M114s though:

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1103dp-1000hp-cummins-shootout-high-tech-vs-old-school/