Canvas waterproofing

Wingy

Well years ago , the campers always used FEB (building products) , IIRC the product was FEBsil , a silicone brick sealer , better than a similar product than by Graingers and cheaper. You use large sponges to apply (gloves on) I have used it on best quality Blacks of Greenock / VANGO 'Egyption cotton' and tentage also Land Rover hoods , it must be spirit based (not tried the newer water based products). The spirit does not attack polyester stitching on such as tilts.

I would have to check in my garage - I have a unused 5 litre of a brand purchased in error (Ultra IIRC the version) - this was water based - purchased the wrong one.

The only good point of such as Graingers Mesowax , is cheap canvas / wearing thin - the wax fills and prevents driving rain penetration for a while. Duck / canvas - the water proofing is just wax.

This is the type of stuff I would use if the dressing has washed off the surface , so you are able to impregnate the cotton with a spirit based product :-

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/building-products/surface-treatments/408-Super-Seal

The tech Data sheet does not state such , BUT it must have silicones in suspension.

Would any of these methods harm plastic windows in canvas doors?

And I presume it would help against mildew/mould when canvas is in a damp environment?

The canvas will stay drier , the water will ball and run off , I suppose when that ceases a re-application is due (I have never done more than the single proofing) The secret is to let the manufacturers wax wash off the canvas first , about 6 to 12 months service , then the sealer can penetrate better. I understnd the silicone brick sealer contains a greater concentrate of silicones in the carrier spirit than the purpose tentage silicone sealers (better .

As I stated , the first time with a Land Rover hood , I took a risk as it was only. abt. 12 months old (most of dressing off , you know black wax on screen) . I had used silicone brick sealer on tentage . Kept checking the polyester stitching on the hood for years until I could see stars through the roof LoL . The newer water based silicone brick sealer may be better and less to attack polyester stitching - just I have never tried it , have 5L unused aqua.purchased in error in garage still.

Never had a problem with it affecting plastic inserts. As to damp and mould, best prevention is maintaining dry and well ventilated conditions. I have used low energy electric greenhouse heaters inside cab and load area to maintain a dry atmosphere when storing in a non-heated area.......or even outside. These do not heat up the air to any discernible degree, just enough to dispel damp and condensation on metal and canvas and they cost about the same to run as a couple of lightbulbs.

I have used thompsons waterseal in the past and it has been effective. Try not to get it on glass or plastic Windows as it leaves marks that are a bu99er to get off.

the new "improved" version of thompsons no longer states canvas, but I put some on an old canvas that covers the kids rabbit hutch two or three years ago and it's been fine.

Edited by MiketheBike
autocorrect.....grrrrr

I have used thompsons waterseal in the past and it has been effective. Try not to get it on glass or plastic Windows as it leaves marks that are a bu99er to get off.

the new "improved" version of thompsons no longer states canvas, but I put some on an old canvas that covers the kids rabbit hutch two or three years ago and it's been fine.

Near the start of the thread , I mentioned I had a 5l container of 'Ultra' type , purchased in error . Did not use because it is not spirit based (it is water based). This is in fact what you mention - the improved version by Thompsons , I understand it has better penetration on stone / clay bricks (abt. 10mm) However to penetrate cotton fibres esp. if there is still wax dressing contamination - then it takes a spirit carrier..

Near the start of the thread , I mentioned I had a 5l container of 'Ultra' type , purchased in error . Did not use because it is not spirit based (it is water based). This is in fact what you mention - the improved version by Thompsons , I understand it has better penetration on stone / clay bricks (abt. 10mm) However to penetrate cotton fibres esp. if there is still wax dressing contamination - then it takes a spirit carrier..

Thats very interesting, the canvas I used it on was pretty old and probably had no dressing left, which is probably why it worked. So maybe not an option on better canvases!

Avoid buying any builders brickwork sealant like Thompsons Water Seal Clear, as it is effectively watered down PVA glue. They changed the recipy some years ago to water based and now it's nothing like the older type of Water Seal which was good for canvas and said so on the can.