Hotchkiss M201

Just bought new project and my first jeep. It needs a bit of work on the engine which a good friend is doing for me. At the minute just trying to get it ready for MOT and registered so I can drive it. I can't wait. Could I just ask does anyone know of anywhere or person near Liverpool that can help me with my restoration as my mechanical knowledge is limited and I will want it sprayed at some stage to desert colour. I don't want to keep asking my friend as he has his own project to be getting on with. I'm having a bit of trouble uploading a picture as my internet is running slow. As soon as it is sorted I will post a picture.

Hello,

I'm not local, but my own Jeep website may help to some degree? I've had my M201 for 11 years now, and record all the work I do, with many pictures, in the Ongoing Work section. There's probably lots of other info in there that you may find useful in time.

I had no interest in car maintenance until I got the Jeep. A car was just a tool to get me from one place to another. Since getting the Jeep, I've gradually taken on bigger and bigger maintenance tasks until in 2012, I completely stripped and rebuilt a 1943 Ford GPW Jeep.

As for painting, many people use small glossing rollers to repaint vehicles if they don't have access to spraying gear. I seem to recall our chief admin, Jack Beckett, used rollers to repaint his GMC 6x6 truck.

"Jessie The Jeep"

Hope this helps to start with.

Many thanks for your reply 'jessie the jeep'. I have logged onto your site and wow its excellent. You have answered many questions i have and I will be sure to keep it for referencing and keeping up with things you are doing. Well done for such a good site I have it saved as one of my favouites.

Have a think about doing it yourself with a spray gun. You can get a small compressor that produces enough air to spray with a gun in the region of £70 to £80 at Aldi etc. If it's desert it would never have been done perfectly, it would have been a quick blow over the OD. It's much easier than you think! The secret is to spray even coats and the first I find should be a light dusting (spray a paint/thinners tin to test for touch), then just as it's tacky (use the spray on the can to touch test, if the can sticks to your finger and you can pull the can, it's just right) put a heavier coat on.

Thanks to both of you. I will take your advice on board and I definately will be starting a folder to keep account of the progress. I will also post a few pictures at various stages. Thanks again and I am looking forward to getting on the road and to a few shows in the new year.

Yes all the paperwork, chasis num and army chasis num all match the year of 1960, I am just waiting for my verification letter from the MVT. I hope to pick the brains of the members of the local MVT branch for advice on where they recommend for MOT testing.

• 1 month later...

On the jeepdraw.com website there is a free download of the Hotchkiss parts book amongst loads of other Jeep material which you will find helpful. The book is written in French but even if you don't speak French the diagrams are very useful.

Sections 06.8 and 06.9 cover the two types of 24V distributor (allumeur in French). The download is slow but it's worth the wait.

Edited to say parts book, rather than workshop manual!

Edited by Ivor Ramsden