Norton 16H

image.jpgHi everyone I'm new on here so hello! I've just bought this 1942 Norton 16H. She runs but is smoking a bit & oil leaking out of the castle nut for the exhaust so I've got to strip her down to find out what's going on. She's not run for 4 years but seems ok other than the leaks & smoke. Engine number is w30304 chassis number w89132 if anyone has any info on her?

Cheers

rob

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

i was kind of hoping that too but would sooner strip it down & check it first don't want to do any damage. Just been in touch with owners club trying to get some bits together they don't have any

points or condensers do you no anywhere? Spares seem to be like hens teeth lol

i was kind of hoping that too but would sooner strip it down & check it first don't want to do any damage. Just been in touch with owners club trying to get some bits together they don't have any

points or condensers do you no anywhere? Spares seem to be like hens teeth lol

Try Russell Motors, Falcon Rd, London SW11 2PE. They have a vast quantity of NOS motor cycle spares. I have got everything I have needed for my 16H from them over the years.

If the bike has been standing, the contents of the oil tank will have drained down into the sump. Even if drained off, if the piston has been low in the bore, there is a good chance that there has been oil everywhere. My first step would be to drain the sump and check return to the tank.

Lucas MO1 magneto spares shouldn't be a problem. A good option for condensors is Brightspark - they solve the age-old problem of having to strip the instrument to replace in the future.

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/

Assuming that the numbers are original stampings (very many aren't), your engine at least is fairly easy to date - W30304 was fitted to a frame of the same number produced under contract C7353. It would have displayed the WD serial number C4390330. It would date from the early part of 1941 - around February / March based on delivery totals.

C4390327 served with the Australians in Syria which illustrates well how bikes from the same contract could be sent at random all over the world.

A%201940%20C4390327%20RonGretz%203McGunBatSyria%201942_zpsqgcztlrk.jpg

Frame number W89132 falls between any known contracts. There is a gap of 1117 machines between W88884 (an RAF sidecar contract) and W90001 (WD solos). There were various RAF and RN contracts between these points but they only total 544. It could be that later contract numbers used batches of frames that had already been reserved. There is little information relating to RAF contracts and pretty-well none about RN deliveries (athough I have seen records relating to the RN demob of W89611).

Does your bike have 18" wheels ? - the tyres certainly look like 4.00" - 18" wheels were a feature of later-war sidecar contracts.

Russell Motors are the best place to start for WD16H spares - Les Myers there is very good but doesn't do computers - best bet is a fax or phone call mid-week. Hitchcocks are the main place for Enfield.

Thanks for all your help. As for wheels I'm not at home so unable to check the size until the weekend. I hope to have the bike repainted & teething problems sorted late August as I go to German soon for a few weeks & haven't got anytime :embarrassed::embarrassed: Carnt wait to get on with it & add it to my little collection:D