Another GMC Dorset bound

A good friend in Dorset has just bought this GMC off E bay. Take a look at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300123921337&rd=1,1

I am certain that it is a type 41, but i guess that it has later wheels. It seems to be mostly complete, but the previous owner has sandblasted the thing in situ so it will need a complete rebuild to get the sand out the engine, diff and gearbox. Missing a few bits, but mostly complete. Anybody got any thoughts or comments (or possibly a manual)?

There must be something about GMC's gravitating to Dorset.

Tim (too)

Oh gosh no. I have enough to be getting on with for the next 20 years. I would love to have it but have no space. Just goes to show that you can get a very early truck for not a lot of money. Import cost estimated at about £1,500, so that brings the cost to just over £2K. Not a bad price really. Actually it is very tempting. Yes, Yes! You are right. Hang it all i should have bought it. I know it would ruin my life, my marriage and destroy the fragile relationship i have with my neigbours but it is a GMC and i want it!

So anyway. It is not 1900. It is from between 1916 and about 1922 i think. The 6 spoked metal wheels are probably from between 1918 and 1922, but they could be later than the truck anyway. The fluted rad suggests an earlier model. Hang on, it should look like this

width=475 height=699http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/1918TtrainX.jpg[/img]

I am not aware of any in the UK. Not used by the Brits, only the French and yanks i think. I hope the new owner gets it going.

Tim (too)

Yes, they are good fun. Nice solid but basic engineering. I have not been able to find any photos of it (outside Crismon's and Vanderveen's books) and no manuals. I suspect that the new owner will not get too stuck into it for a while as he has plenty of other things going on. But it is nice to think that it is safely tucked away over here and that it will get done some day. It is better that than being used as an advertising hoarding for a US garage i think.